Thick shell rings

Neil909

My 4ish week old tortoise just developed these thick rings on its shell. What is causing it? Is it bad?

He or she is put outside in it's enclosure outside for about 3 hours of good sunlight a day,gets a soak, and is eating really well. So I'm not too sure what is causing this.

Any info is greatly appreciated!IMG_20170921_182541.jpg

Last edited:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
It looks like new growth. It looks like it is starting to pyramid. Is his enclosure kept humid? You might want to cut down on the outside time.

Neil909

It looks like new growth. It looks like it is starting to pyramid. Is his enclosure kept humid? You might want to cut down on the outside time.
He does have a shoe box sized hide we try to keep humid all the time but he is only in there sometimes it seems. Should we keep him in a humid environment all the time?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
He does have a shoe box sized hide we try to keep humid all the time but he is only in there sometimes it seems. Should we keep him in a humid environment all the time?
Yes. He should be in a closed chamber that is kept humid and warm.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
i do not want to start a fight with anyone, but i wonder how do babies make it outside on their own in the wild? is it a sulcata or a desert tort? and again: where do you live? i live in so cal and my babies spend most of the year outside and are thriving, but that is just me. it is funny to see my 1.5 year old russian trying to hibernate - he passes out in funnies places:) and my redfoots do not seem to have a care in the world, and i have a theory about pyramiding i am working on. where is the tort kept 21 hours if the 3 hours are outside?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My 4ish week old tortoise just developed these thick rings on its shell. What is causing it? Is it bad?

He or she is put outside in it's enclosure outside for about 3 hours of good sunlight a day,gets a soak, and is eating really well. So I'm not too sure what is causing this.

Any info is greatly appreciated!View attachment 218970
Your tort looks just fine to me.

It also looks too small to be reared outside just yet. I would keep it indoors, where you can be certain of both humidity and temperature, until it's doubled in size.

I know torts survive outside 24/7 in the wild, but outside you are isn't the outside of their native range and, in any case, a lot of young wild tortoises don't make it through their early years.

You have the opportunity to minimise risk and I would take it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
i do not want to start a fight with anyone, but i wonder how do babies make it outside on their own in the wild? is it a sulcata or a desert tort? and again: where do you live? i live in so cal and my babies spend most of the year outside and are thriving, but that is just me. it is funny to see my 1.5 year old russian trying to hibernate - he passes out in funnies places:) and my redfoots do not seem to have a care in the world, and i have a theory about pyramiding i am working on. where is the tort kept 21 hours if the 3 hours are outside?
I. Not sure about other torts, but sulcatas spend their first year or so in very humid burrows in the grass lands of Africa. It also helps that they are usually born during the rainy season. But even then, a large amount of the hatchlings don't make it. This is for sulcatas, but I'm not sure about other species :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's not going to hurt it to be outside . As long as you have the right environment. Your tortiose looks great . That is all new growth . It starts as a white ring around the scutes then darkens up . As long as you have an outdoor setup let him out then bring him in at night . Birds can and will fly off with baby tortioses . So cover your outdoor enclosure . In the wild they're born in the rainy season . They hide in grasses . The tortiose seek out microclimates. Indoors you want a range of temperatures . Basking spot ,warm side ,cool side ,and night time lows . I try to keep humidity up around 85 /90 % . I keep basking spots no higher than 95° . Cool side no lower than 75 . Warm side around 80/85° . For night time lows never let the temperature drop below 70°. As far as pyramiding on this guy goes I don't really see a problem . As long as you feed him and house him correctly you shouldn't have any worries.