Things seem good, except he doesn’t seem interested in food

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
So I’ve had Fezzik about a month and he’s had to endure a lot of changes, going from old neglected home to mine, and from his night box in the garage to time outside as I’m building out his outdoor enclosure (10x12’). Right now he’s out in his enclosure for 4-6 hours a day, and he seems active-ish, often exploring, digging, sunning himself, or mostly chilling halfway in the shade. When I soak him (currently a few times a week), he always poops and usually pees. He seems bright and alert, and has been tested for parasites.

The only strange thing is he really doesn’t eat much. I feel like he’s eating just a little bit every 3-4 days, Not nearly as much as other people have described I should expect him to eat. Obviously if he’s pooping he must be eating but he doesn’t seem to be eating anything in the yard, and he shows almost no interest in the food I put down daily. I’ve been trying everything under the sun that’s been advised. No interest in dandelions, either from the yard or the store, hibiscus, pellets, or most acceptable things from the store suggested here or on the Tortoise Table, He’s eaten escarole the “most“ (still not a lot or often) and sampled mustard greens once, but that’s it. its not like he checks out the food and ignores it (that I’ve seen) he just doesn’t seem interested… as far as I know, he was just fed “spring mix” in the past but he’s not interested in that either.

im hoping it’s just all the transition but it seems odd he’s active(ish) and pooping but not eating.

I’m guesing he’s around 4-5 years old, 4.5“ long shell. Originally a pet store purchase 3 years ago…

any thoughts would be appreciated

Attachments

• AC3F9A3F-6CF1-453F-8977-F4FA45252ABD.jpeg
    AC3F9A3F-6CF1-453F-8977-F4FA45252ABD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 7B02F4C2-7ADE-4CBE-8DA3-2B19FA2D4FCD.jpeg
    7B02F4C2-7ADE-4CBE-8DA3-2B19FA2D4FCD.jpeg
    1,012.4 KB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my experience with my Russian this time of year is the same as yours.
However I have much different weather than you. Mine has been inside all winter and should had gotten outside back in April. With the lousy spring we are having, he only got outside this week, 80-90's. He has barely eaten for a few weeks. Now that he is outside, he should pick up on that. Will be watching him.
Get yours set up with a more stable home without all the recent changes and he should settle in. They don't like changes and as slow as they move is as slow as they get used to changes.
Keep feeding and do it right after his soak. Sometimes they eat better then.