Things to add to enclosure

Elnewman622

Location (City and/or State)
OH, Usa
IMG_0584.JPG I feel like I should put more stuff inside but I'm not really sure what to put in. I don't know if I should add more things for him to climb on or plants. If anyone could help that would be great !

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Plants are great. If you have any hostas out in your land scaping, those work really well. I would get rid of the water dish you have and get a terra cota plant sauce. They are real cheap and easier for them to get in and out of.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can add real plants or fake ones. My Russian kept Nibling on the fake ones so I got real ones. I got them from a friend and they had no chemicals or fertilizers. Spider plants, Jade, dracaena. I suggest putting them in pots because Russians are heck on plants. Mine loves to bulldoze them. Does your tortoise like to use that bark piece as a hide? Put more dirt under it and dig out a little bit of a cave and I bet he'll love it. You can put a couple rocks in there. Make very terrain with the substrate, little hills etc.
Are you using a compact bulb for UVB? I would recommend a mercury vapor bulb. Put it on one end of the enclosure to make a warm side and a cooler side. Your tortoise will be more active if there is more lights however so you can hang another ball on the other end purely for light, put it up higher so it doesn't make the enclosure too warm.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I have a few spider plants in mine, they are nice to hide underImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433033421.010789.jpg

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
Plants are great. If you have any hostas out in your land scaping, those work really well. I would get rid of the water dish you have and get a terra cota plant sauce. They are real cheap and easier for them to get in and out of.
ok thanks! I've been meaning to get a new water dish too

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
You can add real plants or fake ones. My Russian kept Nibling on the fake ones so I got real ones. I got them from a friend and they had no chemicals or fertilizers. Spider plants, Jade, dracaena. I suggest putting them in pots because Russians are heck on plants. Mine loves to bulldoze them. Does your tortoise like to use that bark piece as a hide? Put more dirt under it and dig out a little bit of a cave and I bet he'll love it. You can put a couple rocks in there. Make very terrain with the substrate, little hills etc.
Are you using a compact bulb for UVB? I would recommend a mercury vapor bulb. Put it on one end of the enclosure to make a warm side and a cooler side. Your tortoise will be more active if there is more lights however so you can hang another ball on the other end purely for light, put it up higher so it doesn't make the enclosure too warm.
i actuallly have a mercury vapor bulb in with a regular heat lamp! and yea he loves the bark thing !