Thinking about getting my first tortoise

KThomas85

Hello ^_^

My name is Kristin, and I live in Jacksonville, FL. My husband and I are thinking of purchasing a tortoise, we were thinking either Russian or Red Footed, maybe eventually a Sulcata, but not at this point as we are in an apartment. The tortoise will be kept indoors as we are in an apartment, so we are looking for something that won't get too big. I have read that Russians have a great personality, but I have also read that Red Footeds do too, but they require protein, so I am not sure about that.

I am looking for advice on a good tortoise to get, and if I should look in local stores (there are a few reptile stores that are supposed to be good - I don't particularly want to go to a larger chain store, just because they tend to price higher and the animals sometimes aren't looked after as well), wait until a reptile convention (repticon is coming up in August, but I have read really poor reviews on some of the vendors who will be there), or purchase a tortoise online (the main two sites I was considering were tortoisesupply.com and floridaherps.com). I would really rather buy it in person, in part to save shipping costs.

Also, I have researched some setups for tortoises, but I am not sure exactly what sort of a container they would need. I have seen "tortoise tables" mentioned, so I was wondering if anyone had any information on those?

Thanks!

Dbennett561

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa
Buy from a breeder on this site, or research Camp Kenan for a redfoot/cherryhead

Sent from my iPad using Tortoise Forum

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) A Russian, even though small, still needs a big enclosure, as a RF would in a few years too. A RF would do good in the Florida humidity, where a Russian, as an adult, don't need high humidity. As for a breeder, I would by my RF from Jeff, forum member N2TORTS, he also has cherryheads. The other person mentioned above, I have no idea who that is to say either way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristen, and welcome to the Forum!

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I'm 100% agree with Barb that you should look into of contacting Jeff of N2TORTS. He really got some nice looking Red Foot for sure. Welcome! ! ! !

Maverick

5 Year Member
I would also check out Vicki Hale for Redfoot hatchlings, she is awesome.