Thinking about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wichita, Kansas
Hey everyone,

I am seriously thinking about getting a red foot. They have always been my favorite and I think I could handle one at this point. I've read all the basic literature out there but I was just wondering does anyone have suggestions on a red foot? What species would be best? Are some larger or smaller? Just any advice, suggestions, and warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Bronson

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
DO IT! :p they're awesome. but anyway, if you like them and think you could provide for one based on reading what's required for their setups from some credible care sheets then why not? I think they're basically all about the same size range.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Really? I thought cherries were supposed to be smaller but I just got to think they are harder to get so they probably cost quite a bit more. I just think they are such cool tortoises. How much do you think I should pay?

Thanks again,
Bronson

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
cherryheads cost a bit more, and it's said they tend to be a few inches smaller but I've heard here that they are generally about the same size. You can look around faunaclassifieds, kingsnake classifieds, tortoisesupply, tortoiseyard, theturtlesource and other sites to browse prices. Usually see them for sale up to $200 which you'd have to also pay shipping for on top of the price of the tort.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
it was the best decision i ever made! just make sure you have the humidity up high enough

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
I currently have a Leopard tortoise so humidity will be a relatively new concept for me. How old are your redfoots?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
So far Cherry Head's are my favorite tortoise....but then again they are the only kind of tortoise I have. :D
my cute lil' Cherry
029-13.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Bronson said:
GOD! It is gorgeous! That's exactly what I want!!

Bronson

Thank you. That little guy is about 8 months old. This is my big girl. She's 3 years and 6 months old, and is 8 inches. Very friendly, comes as soon as she sees me and will sit by my feet for hours when I am outside reading. A wonderful pet.
003-41.jpg

034-8-1.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would recommend a small Cherry-head- most of the benefits of a regular Red-foot but prettier and hardier in general. I would also recommend contacting cdmay or allegraf here in the forums to see if they have any available. They are great breeders and great people to work with. If they don't have any, they might know who does.

Cherry's are often a bit more expensive, but a lot of good breeders offer them at very reasonable rates. I know some breeders have some in incubators right now, so there might be more options in about a month.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I say go for it you can get a cherryhead for around $150 which isnt bad at all. I hVe a northern and i think hes beautiful. The yellow head and red markingsm on the feet is awesome. Take time to pick the right one though..(practically a life long pet) Personqlities and markings...

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
That's the problem, I can't find any locally so I'm afraid I'm going to have to find one online.

I think I've decided on the Cherry Head Redfooted Tortoise. Also I really want a hatchling. When I got my leopard it was already a year old so I don't have experience with a baby. Does anyone have experience like this and is it to risky? Should I get a yearling?

Thanks again!
Bronson

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I don't have any experience with having more than two together, but if I had to do it over again I would have gotten two when I got my older one. At the time I got Pio I also got a little 1 month old hatchling boxie. Thinking that they needed the same care I raised them together. A big no, no according to most everyone. They got along great, and were together for almost three years, until I separated them. They boxie couldn't care less about being separated, but the little Cherry head stopped eating and paced the vivarium for three days and finally went into his hide and stayed there. I had to take her out to eat. For some reason she attached herself to that little boxie and followed her around like a puppy. I'm glad I took some pictures, because no one would believe me. I've known others that had a similar experience. So I do wish I had gotten two Cherries at that time so Pio would have a companion. Most people will tell you they don't need one, but I think they do better when able to interact.

Bronson

5 Year Member
Wichita, Kansas
Thank you so much for the advice! If I do get cherries I think I will get two the same age. Another thing do they smell at all? My leopard is practically odorless unless I'm giving it a soak at which time it smells like a wet tortoise. I know the humidity with redfoots is substantially more than with a leo does this affect their smell?

Thanks so much!
Bronson

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Bronson said:
That's the problem, I can't find any locally so I'm afraid I'm going to have to find one online.

I think I've decided on the Cherry Head Redfooted Tortoise. Also I really want a hatchling. When I got my leopard it was already a year old so I don't have experience with a baby. Does anyone have experience like this and is it to risky? Should I get a yearling?

Thanks again!
Bronson

You can go to kingsnake.com and go to the events webpage.. maybe there are reptile shows near you. Torts have their own personalities. I picked mine up at the show as a hatchling and some were crawling on my hands, but some were hiding and never came out of their shells.

HHISIII

5 Year Member
It's definitely good to pick your own out. When I went to the shop to get mine, there were two left, one stayed hidden and the other came right up to the glass and was letting me pet his head from the very first time I picked him up. Guess which one I bought...

Status
Not open for further replies.