Thoughts on Mazuri??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
Hello again! So Baby Clay is starting to perk up a bit. I definately want to get him a bigger enclosure as he is starting to move around a bit more. Suggestions on a cheap alternative? And also I was thinking about trying Mazuri since i have heard alot about it on here. Any tips?

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
For mazuri and a small tort I take the mazuri pellerts and soak them in hot water until they swell up. Then I take them and mush them together and make a little mazuri wall about half inch high and 2 inches long just makes it easier and cleaner to eat for them that just a pile of mush.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I do the same as SulcataSquirt, but I only feed my two Redfoot hatchlings Mazuri once/month. I don't know what species of tortoise you care for, but Zoo Med produces a grassland and a forest tortoise diet that I also use ~1/week. The increased frequency of use is because it is more of a "natural" diet (mostly dried plant materials with some fruit and fish protein added to the forest diet - not sure about the grassland) It has a good amount of fiber, some probiotic bacteria, and may help fill in some nutritional holes that I overlooked that week. I treat this the same way as the Mazuri, soaking it for a bit.

I'm not sure what your current enclosure is, but a decent enclosure upgrade could be an old bookshelf with shelves removed and a board or two fastened to the back? I've seen quite a few of those and they appear practical, cheap, and spacious. If this is what you already have, you may consider building a table?

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Are you talking about Mazuri tort food? I tried to give Wilbur some Mazuri tort food, but he did not seem to like it. My dogs did though. Give it a shot and see if baby clay likes it. I am glad to hear that he is starting to come around:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Here's an article Mark wrote discussing the different approaches to offering Mazuri and other 'chows.'
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Prepared-Tortoise-Diets-yes-or-no#axzz1emfrnQlX

I feed Mazuri every couple of days, essentially using it as a supplement. I soak it for a few minutes, just like SulcataSquirt mentioned. Feeding it in the enclosure can be messy since they seem to like to walk through it/lay in it, so I feed it in a separate container right before I soak them.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I use mazuri,for some of my tortoises, for the little ones I put 3 or 4 pieces in a gallon milk jug top and a few drops of water it will swell up and then I put the top with the wet mazuri in a small plant saucer and let him go at it, saves some of the mess from getting all over the place. As for the enclosure you could build a inexpensive one using a piece of plywood for the bottom and fence boards for the sides.

Katherine

5 Year Member
View attachment 14469

View attachment 14470

I feed soaked mazuri as a supplemental nourishment ( not to replace daily grazing but rather to compliment it and help to bridge and nutrient gaps that their daily grass/hay/veggie regime has left) Very pleased with it as a product and would recommend it to anyone as long as you aren't looking to implement it as the main food source.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
katherine said:
View attachment 14469

View attachment 14470

I feed soaked mazuri as a supplemental nourishment ( not to replace daily grazing but rather to compliment it and help to bridge and nutrient gaps that their daily grass/hay/veggie regime has left) Very pleased with it as a product and would recommend it to anyone as long as you aren't looking to implement it as the main food source.
This is how I use it and I use it more in the winter when the tort's are inside and unable to freely graze.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Kvenegas said:
Hello again! So Baby Clay is starting to perk up a bit. I definately want to get him a bigger enclosure as he is starting to move around a bit more. Suggestions on a cheap alternative? And also I was thinking about trying Mazuri since i have heard alot about it on here. Any tips?

I think Mazuri is a good choice as part of a mixed diet. My young tortoises get Mazuri about 3 times a week, the adults once a week. With the hatchlings I usually soak it in warm water for about 5 minutes, drain the water and serve.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I feed Mazuri once a week mixed with greens as part of a more complete diet. I believe that it provides some extra nutrional value as a supplement to a more varied quality diet. I would not rely on it as a staple dietary base.
Because most of my tortoises are smaller (Testudo species), I soak it in warm water for a few minutes in order to soften the pellets.
I treat Marion Red sticks and other pellet foods in the same manner as Mazuri. Generally speaking, my Ibera, Hermann's and Pancakes & Burmese Brown show almost no interest in pellet foods. My Russians show a mild interest in it, often leaving some of it behind. My Marginateds consume it every time it's offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.