Tidgy the Tortoise

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, but mine is not the terrapin one, its Just reptiles and says for herbivorous reptiles and shows an image of a tortoise and a rather beautiful lizard where this terrapin picture is.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Here is my lovely girl, though not lookin too happy as we just tried to get her to pose for the piccies. on the 2nd photo you can see the rear upper scute that was cut out has healed nicely now.

Wow, she is a beautiful tortoise!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Yeah, but mine is not the terrapin one, its Just reptiles and says for herbivorous reptiles and shows an image of a tortoise and a rather beautiful lizard where this terrapin picture is.

Understood. I was looking for the Purina logo - something with which folks in the USA would be familiar... I didn't see it on the herbivorous Reptiles version.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't give her meat or animal protein of any kind! this product is sold in Italy, france and portugal, though I bought mine in Spain and it is for herbivorous reptiles including tortoises. it is rich in calcium and phosphorous with cereal,veggies and grass oils. recommended by Spanish pet shop that had many tortoises. will contact someone you recommended. Thank you very much for your kind concern

No, you don't have to contact them. When we put the "@" in front of their username, the program sends them an alert asking them to read this thread. So they will be contacted.

I'm glad to know that Friskies Optimal is for reptiles. So now I'm at a loss to know what's wrong with your tortoise's leg. However, in the pictures she does seem to be a bit swollen.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
No, you don't have to contact them. When we put the "@" in front of their username, the program sends them an alert asking them to read this thread. So they will be contacted.

I'm glad to know that Friskies Optimal is for reptiles. So now I'm at a loss to know what's wrong with your tortoise's leg. However, in the pictures she does seem to be a bit swollen.
Sadly, I don't think that's the answer. My tortoise hasn't had enough exercise in the last couple of weeks due to the cold and she's got a bit fat.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
The legs do look swollen. Is your tortoise receiving direct sunlight or uvb lighting?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
The legs do look swollen. Is your tortoise receiving direct sunlight or uvb lighting?
She hasn't had so much sun these last couple of months as its been cold and wet outside, but she's been out in the sun an hour a day for the last week or so. i don't have uvb as can't get it here, but I will try to buy something suitable when I'm in Spain this weekend, what do you suggest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She hasn't had so much sun these last couple of months as its been cold and wet outside, but she's been out in the sun an hour a day for the last week or so. i don't have uvb as can't get it here, but I will try to buy something suitable when I'm in Spain this weekend, what do you suggest?

A tortoise that's kept indoors has to have a UVB light over it. Without the UVB the body can't make d3 and without d3 the calcium just gets pee'd out and doesn't maintain shell and bone strength. This might be what's causing the tortoise to limp. I understand MBD (metabolic bone disease or lack of calcium) is painful. You can buy UVB lights off the internet. This is one of the kind that I use:

mercury vapor bulb.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A tortoise that's kept indoors has to have a UVB light over it. Without the UVB the body can't make d3 and without d3 the calcium just gets pee'd out and doesn't maintain shell and bone strength. This might be what's causing the tortoise to limp. I understand MBD (metabolic bone disease or lack of calcium) is painful. You can buy UVB lights off the internet. This is one of the kind that I use:

View attachment 118822
thank you very much. it does seem to hurt her sometimes when she is walking, so I hope and pray that with our long summer coming and with a uvb lamp she will make a full recovery. It is pouring with rain again today. I will buy 1 in Spain this weekend or purchase from the net if necessary asap, though many companies don't post to Morocco.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

View attachment 118822
Just to update you, the weather has changed for the better here, spring has finally arrived, so my little girl is getting lots of lovely sunshine. I have also now got a bulb, similar to the one you posted and she has made a good recovery, though still limping a little on her right forelimb, it improves everyday and she is now beginning to walk about and be her old curious self again. maybe she just pulled or strained a muscle as she was starting to improve before the bulb and good weather.
Thanks so much for you concern and advice
bless you

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks, with more sunlight and uvb, she is much better now, but still a little swollen, with a slight limp in her front right forelimb

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Understood. I was looking for the Purina logo - something with which folks in the USA would be familiar... I didn't see it on the herbivorous Reptiles version.
No offence taken. My little girl is much better now. thanks for your concern

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

View attachment 118822
Thanks for all your help and advice. Just to confirm, my darling girl has made a complete recovery, we have a new uvb installed and she is back to her happy, curious and mobile self. Thanks again and what a great forum this is, such a lot of nice, knowledgeable people who really love their tortoises and turtles.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Glad your little one is doing better! It's too bad your country has little interest in such a wonderful animal. Glad you have one that is being taken care of. Glad you found the forum!