Time to hibernate!?!

ratbones7

5 Year Member
looks like our eastern box turtles are settling in here in NJ. They all (3 adults & 1 juvenile) stopped eating 2 weeks ago. I started adding grass clippings & leaves & loosening soil and have not seen them at all this week. Seems a bit early this year....anybody elses go down yet in midatlantic region?

first winter outside for the little guy. if you see my thread last winter and how i was afraid this guy wasn't going to make it....it's crazy how much he grew this summer and how healthy he is...i think it's best to let him hibernate this winter...i think he wanted to bad last year. im pretty sure he'll be fine.

thanks!

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I can't say for the midatlantic, but I'm in Illinois and my three toed settled down last weekend. Winter is coming early I guess.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I'm in Ohio and the same here my 3 Toeds stopped eating this past weekend and sloooowwed down. Caught 2 of them buried in already on a 75 degree day.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Baldwin Co, Alabama
I'm in southern AL and mine have gone into hiding for a few days, but saw most of them out and about, some eating, yesterday. Still early here for them to hibernate, but they seem to have thought these last week or so of cool nights/mornings wasn't worth getting out of bed during the day for either lol

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I'm in Illinois and mine are down except for a few sunny days when they come out in the mornings.

Banjos n Boxies

Iowa
My friend's outdoor boxies have actually been out and about a couple times in the last week in Iowa. So according to preliminary boxie forecasts, the Midatlantic is in for a cold winter while the Midwest is in for a mild one, I guess?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm in NY and mine keep going under and coming out for a few hours during the day. I stopped feeding them about two weeks ago. In the juvenile garden, I haven't seen them for two days now, but if the weather get's any warmer I'm sure they'll be up for a few hours during the warm part of the day. Last year they all went under at the end of October right around Halloween.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here in sunny, rain-starved Central California the box turtles are still up and eating.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
In Colorado mine are going into the fridge for hibernation tomorrow. They haven't been eating the last few weeks and only a few are still coming up at all.

Tijjer

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm in Ohio and the same here my 3 Toeds stopped eating this past weekend and sloooowwed down. Caught 2 of them buried in already on a 75 degree day.

Same my boxie is starting to slow down of course she is also taking medicine for her discharge so that could also be a factor. Also this weather we have been having in Ohio its crazy as always.

ratbones7

5 Year Member
yeah i might have jumped the gun...i saw ours a couple times in last two weeks...just out and about for a bit, but no eating.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Half of mine come out around noon for a couple hours and the other half are already dug in, even with the temps being in the 70's.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
About half of mine are down and half won't eat anymore down here in Texas.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here in NY the weather is insane. Today it's going to hit 76 they said. Then tonight it will be in the low 50's. I stopped feeding weeks ago. Yesterday was rain and cold. This is weather that can make a box turtle sick. Poor things don't know what to do.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I know right! It's been weather bipolar in Ohio too. Lows were in the 60's tomorrow in the 30's. Heck I'm on an antibiotic for a sinus infection from weather change.