Should I hibernate

Raydenn

Location (City and/or State)
Columbia
Eastern box turtle is one year old, he hatched last spring and hibernated that winter. I decided to bring him in this year around mid October. He was eating fine the first week or so untill he stopped. He gets regular soaks, ideal humidity and temperature. I've tried everything from mixed eggs and vegetables to canned box turtle food and even live food. He refuses all of it. He isn't backed up cuz he's pooped during his soaks. No signs of illness, plenty of energy. I pulled him out yesterday for a soak and he was sleeping so deep that it took him a second to wake up even in my hand. I believe he's trying to hibernate but I need some other opinions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't usually alllow brumation until the turtle/tortoise is three years old. But that's just me. I enjoy caring for babies and I love having an enclosure of them. It's hard for me to put them outside and allow them to be a turtle when they're big enough to go out.

If you want to keep him up you have to make sure to keep the temperature up too, day and night. And keep the light on for 12 to 14 hours a day. I don't allow a dip in temperature for baby enclosures, even at night.

Raydenn

Columbia
I don't usually alllow brumation until the turtle/tortoise is three years old. But that's just me. I enjoy caring for babies and I love having an enclosure of them. It's hard for me to put them outside and allow them to be a turtle when they're big enough to go out.

If you want to keep him up you have to make sure to keep the temperature up too, day and night. And keep the light on for 12 to 14 hours a day. I don't allow a dip in temperature for baby enclosures, even at night.
Yeah I keep my temps about mid 80s 24/7

Any recommendations on getting him to eat then? The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is force feeding with syringe. I mean I've literally tried everything.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yearling like Matilda? I brought her inside too. I saw that same "leave me in peace" stuff too and figured she had acclimatized and was beginning to slow down for the Fall. My reason was that she hadn't gained any weight in 3 mos outside....When she came in, she pulled basically the same no-eat behavior but I enticed her by heating only one side of her home to 84F then teased her with a piece of cooked steak, medium-rare....like Pepperidge Farms, she remembered how much she liked it.. From there it was only a worm away from her regular diet.

I think that you are a long way off from forced feeding but believe it or not, if you feel he's in trouble...and no, I'm not nuts...buy a dozen Gerbers Baby food Carrots(it's like sauce) take the tinfoil top off and warm a packet to 88F...be sure to stir to eliminate hot spots that could hurt your guy and let his him soak....20-30 minutes, keeping the carrots warm. That can be a challenge but I used a confining tupperware so she couldn't climb the sides, then once her stuff was warm and she was in it, I placed it in 2" of water in the sink @ 90F water. That will prove a heat loading to keep his carrots warm during his soak.

Last December I think, my little one began losing grams(she's still only 70GM) and I tried carrot soaks....I've had box turtles since Kennedy was president and a "magic treatment" has to be real for me to vouch for it.....it is and I do. Matilda responded by day three....her 3rd soak, by day 5 she was fine again!

Trust what the folks here tell you....I'm just the FNG, there's some super talent here!

Good luck!

jeff

Raydenn

Columbia
Yearling like Matilda? I brought her inside too. I saw that same "leave me in peace" stuff too and figured she had acclimatized and was beginning to slow down for the Fall. My reason was that she hadn't gained any weight in 3 mos outside....When she came in, she pulled basically the same no-eat behavior but I enticed her by heating only one side of her home to 84F then teased her with a piece of cooked steak, medium-rare....like Pepperidge Farms, she remembered how much she liked it.. From there it was only a worm away from her regular diet.

I think that you are a long way off from forced feeding but believe it or not, if you feel he's in trouble...and no, I'm not nuts...buy a dozen Gerbers Baby food Carrots(it's like sauce) take the tinfoil top off and warm a packet to 88F...be sure to stir to eliminate hot spots that could hurt your guy and let his him soak....20-30 minutes, keeping the carrots warm. That can be a challenge but I used a confining tupperware so she couldn't climb the sides, then once her stuff was warm and she was in it, I placed it in 2" of water in the sink @ 90F water. That will prove a heat loading to keep his carrots warm during his soak.

Last December I think, my little one began losing grams(she's still only 70GM) and I tried carrot soaks....I've had box turtles since Kennedy was president and a "magic treatment" has to be real for me to vouch for it.....it is and I do. Matilda responded by day three....her 3rd soak, by day 5 she was fine again!

Trust what the folks here tell you....I'm just the FNG, there's some super talent here!

Good luck!

jeff
Wow it actually worked. She's had 3 carrot soaks and is now feasting on some egg this morning. Thank you sir, I am now a firm believer in the carrot soaks

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Weird isn't it? Thank the forum, I just passed the word....super news!

And good for you for being proactive is taking care of your guy instead of watching him waste away as many are forced to do b/c they don't know what to do.