Too much humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
CIMG2319.JPGA few days ago I got my 2 1/2 month old Sulcata (Juju) a reptile fogger to help with humidity in his open enclosure. I don't have a problem maintaining humidity, as I spray him frequently and soak him at least 30 minutes daily. (temps are 120 in basking, and 80 rest of enclosure) School will be starting Monday, so I will be going back to work. I wanted to have a constant source of humidity for when I am gone for several hours a day. Anyway, he enjoys sitting right at the opening of the tube in the fog! Can he get too much humidity? Should I worry about the possibility of him getting respiratory infections? He is in a "reptile room" with an Iguana, Leopard Gecko, and a Tarantula, with a closed door and no drafts. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your basking temp is too hot. Excessive electric heat can dry out the carapace and defeat the purpose of all your spraying and humidity. Im guessing he rarely sits directly under the bulb, right? He probably sits along the edges of the light.

I wouldn't run the fogger all the time. I would set in on a timer to come on for a couple of minutes several times a day, and put the end of the nozzle farther away from him. I would not want it blowing directly on him, but rather use it to humidify the enclosure.

In a closed room like that what is your humidity typically at? I wouldn't think you'd need to do a whole lot in a closed room like that. Yo might get more benefit by just humidifying the whole room with your fogger and raising your heat bulb a couple more inches away from your substrate.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Tom said:
Your basking temp is too hot. Excessive electric heat can dry out the carapace and defeat the purpose of all your spraying and humidity. Im guessing he rarely sits directly under the bulb, right? He probably sits along the edges of the light.

I wouldn't run the fogger all the time. I would set in on a timer to come on for a couple of minutes several times a day, and put the end of the nozzle farther away from him. I would not want it blowing directly on him, but rather use it to humidify the enclosure.

In a closed room like that what is your humidity typically at? I wouldn't think you'd need to do a whole lot in a closed room like that. Yo might get more benefit by just humidifying the whole room with your fogger and raising your heat bulb a couple more inches away from your substrate.

Thanks for the info, Tom! I am in Wyoming, so we don't have a lot of humidity. I looked at the thermometer, and directly under the bulb the temp is actually closer to about 108. The fogger doesn't put out too much, so not sure it would add much to a room. I thought about using a vaporizer in the room (like those ones you use when you're sick) so everyone gets humidity. The room has about 30-40% humidity right now. I will have to hang the nozzle, as he finds it and gets in front of it! I will go get a timer for it today. Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try covering as much of the top of your enclosure as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.