Too much or too little

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
I just prepared Carlos (20Lbs) & Carla's (19Lbs) their daily salad, today's salad consist of Aloe Vera cubes, slices of Cactus Pads, about a cup of softened Mazuri, 10 to 15 cherrie tomatoes and a dash of Vitamin D.....my question to you is am I feeding them too much or too
Little....they get a variety of salads about this big on a daily basis and of course they have their Timothy Hay bale to munch on throughout the day along with other backyard weeds and flowers.

image-309702966.png

Carlos is on his way!!!

image-3274098877.png

They're loving it that's for sure!!!

Attachments

• image-3138934173.png
    image-3138934173.png
    963.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image-3427434666.png
    image-3427434666.png
    347 KB · Views: 24

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally, I would let them graze outside and feed maybe half of that later in the day. Let them eat the better yard stuff first then to fill up on the others. Maybe toss some of the cactus in the yard for them to graze.

Do they have grass and weeds to graze on? Doesn't look like it in the pics. If they don't then the food you are plating for them will have to do.

Do they have grass and weeds to graze on? Doesn't look like it in the pics. If they don't then the food you are plating for them will have to do.

Sorry, just switched to Att Uverse services the other day and am have g all kinds of problems.:( I didn't purposely post twice the same thing

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The amount seems fine. Once they get to that size, the hay can start making up a substantial portion of the diet.

A couple of notes though. I think you already know this, but I'll throw it out there in case other people reading don't. I wouldn't do Mazuri everyday. Likewise the tomatoes are fine for a once in a while treat, especially mixed in the way you are doing it, just not more than a couple of times a month. Love the cactus part.

Are they eating much weeds and grass? How about mulberry leaves and such? Do they eat the Timothy? It is fine for them, but a lot of them seem to prefer orchard grass or Bermuda hay. If yours are eating the Timothy okay, then forget I asked, but if not, you might try some of the others and you can introduce it, or encourage them to eat more of it by chopping it up with scissors and using it as a topping on their daily salad.

Glad they are doing well for you!

redbeef

5 Year Member
I'm not sure about this, but if they are outdoor torts, you probably don't need to give them Vitamin D as they should be getting this from natural sunlight...or did you mean Calcium instead of Vitamin D?

anyone want to chime in on this?

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
redbeef said:
I'm not sure about this, but if they are outdoor torts, you probably don't need to give them Vitamin D as they should be getting this from natural sunlight...or did you mean Calcium instead of Vitamin D?

anyone want to chime in on this?

Love your knitted tort! Sorry carry on with this thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.