too much UV light outdoors?

kdub

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater, FL
Hi everyone! I'm new here and have LOTS of questions. I'm just wondering if it is possible for a tortoise to get too much UV light outdoors? I live in Florida and the UV index here is often very high in the 12 to 13 range (I didn't know before I moved to the south that it went above 10!) I'm not planning on getting a tortoise for a few months still so that I can be knowledgeable and informed but my intention is to have my little guy outdoors most of the year.

kdub

Clearwater, FL
My Red footed don't spend much time in the sun. They gravitate for the shade. They will regulate it for you. I'm in So Florida.
Thanks, that's good to know. I was thinking about constructing my outdoor area with various regions including a wide open sunny space, a foliage shady area and a cave type area for maximum shade and coolness.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks, that's good to know. I was thinking about constructing my outdoor area with various regions including a wide open sunny space, a foliage shady area and a cave type area for maximum shade and coolness.
That sounds perfect. The tort will decide on where to go. The only way it's too much sun is if you don't offer a spot for the to escape. FYI Florida is perfect for many species. Redfoots do the best there. What species were you considering?

kdub

Clearwater, FL
That sounds perfect. The tort will decide on where to go. The only way it's too much sun is if you don't offer a spot for the to escape. FYI Florida is perfect for many species. Redfoots do the best there. What species were you considering?
That's what I was thinking. From the research I've done thus far it seems like they would be suited for the heat and humidity. Plus I can grow grasses and edible landscape year-round and offer some fresh produce throughout the week... stuff I'd already be eating anyway!