Took George to see a tortoise expert today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, UK
I took George to a tortoise expert I've known of for a few years. He works with tortoises, and runs a tortoise club, and has a wealth of knowledge. I respect him very much, and he really helped me out today. He had a look at my little George, and said he could tell he'd had a naff life and a bad diet so far. He aged him between 5 and 10 years. He said he felt light, and needed lots of good weeds from the garden. He looked at his legs and said he looked like he has bone disease from his inadequate diet, but he said his shell felt nice and solid. He agreed with what some of you have said on here that he's a male Eastern Hermann's tortoise. I now have a strip light and a UV bulb where I keep him inside, but was told to get him outside to munch as often as possible. He said if he gets a good diet from now on, and UV, he should really start to improve! I hope so, because I am very attached to him already! There is just something about tortoises, they are so special! :D

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Glad your meeting went well. Good luck with George! :) Looking forward to seeing a lot more of him!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Glad you got a professional opinion. It will make you feel more confident in what you are doing for him. Will look forward to hearing about how he does in the future and his improvement.

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you very much! I will put some more pics of him up! I am a bit worried he hasn't eaten a great deal today. He did eat a lot more yesterday. I really hope he will be ok bless him!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Aww. Thats great news about him improving :)

Don't worry about the not eating thing. I don't know if it works for hermanns the same as leopards but someone once told me they can go for a few days not eating a be fine :) As when i got Squirt she wouldn't eat much unless it was veg, which isn't that good for her! Now she'll happily eat weeds if they are mixed with tortoise pellets and some veg! Fussy tortoise!

Can't wait to see pictures of him :)

*Amber*

5 Year Member
Suffolk, UK
Thank you very much. He has eaten a little Clover today, and that's it. Think I probably upset him again taking him out in the car today bless him.

I have put some garden pics in the pic section! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.