took Kurma to the vet today

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Belleville, IL
Took my guy/gal to the vet today for his nose bubbles. The doctor was very nice and seemed to know his stuff about reptiles (i got his name from the TFO vet list). He gave me tiny shots of ceftazidime to give Kurma once every three days. Anyone know anything about this medicine? Needless to say Kurma was NOT happy to get a shot :-( I felt so bad giving it to him.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
It's tough administering shots, don't worry Kurma will not hold it against you forever! I had to give Baytril to one of my redfoots recently for a week, then again for 10 days and it was difficult. The tortoise was tiny (44g) making it challenging to insert the needles and I just felt awful seeing it's reaction to the injection.

Hang in there, and remind Kurma it's for his/her benefit. Good luck!

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
Aww poor baby! That sounds so tiny!

I.struggled giving him the shot because I didn't know how else to put it in him so I had to forcibly wedge my finger between his arm and shell so I could get the tiny needle in there. It was tough because he was clenched SHUT. :-( is there an easier way?

I really appreciate your guys' support :) thank you

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
These are intra-muscular in the legs? If so, sounds like you've got it. Take your time and be firm, but gentle. I could do the front legs by myself, but the rear legs were tricky. I had to have someone grab and hold the hind legs, I'd push his/her head in so that s/he would stick the hind legs out.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
All my vet told me was to stick him with the needle behind his forearms into the muscle. I'm not even sure if I got the muscle the first time :-/ I got him about half an inch away from his shell into the soft skin back there. I was really nervous

I asked about doing the shots in the back legs and he said most of the blood from the back legs goes almost directly to the kidneys, so it might not be as effective?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
You do not give injections in the back legs in reptiles because of their renal portal system. Everything goes directly to the kidneys. So all injections must be given in the front arms or pectoral muscles. The antibiotic prescribed is an excellent choice. Does not cause much muscle damage. Make sure you alternate sides every 3 days.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
Any tips on how to get his arms away so i can inject him? I'm having a hard time and i'm really worried i will hurt him

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
deadheadvet said:
You do not give injections in the back legs in reptiles because of their renal portal system. Everything goes directly to the kidneys. So all injections must be given in the front arms or pectoral muscles. The antibiotic prescribed is an excellent choice. Does not cause much muscle damage. Make sure you alternate sides every 3 days.

I've not heard this before. My vet wanted me to rotate the injections around each leg as Baytril can cause some necrosis in tissues. If you have any papers or reputable sites, I'd love to read up more on the renal portal system linked to their back legs.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Redstrike said:
I've not heard this before. My vet wanted me to rotate the injections around each leg as Baytril can cause some necrosis in tissues. If you have any papers or reputable sites, I'd love to read up more on the renal portal system linked to their back legs.

That is what they taught us during my exotic class in my vet tech program. Since the hind legs sure closer to the kidneys and they function differently then noirs does any injection in the hind legs will cause it to pass through the kidneys before circulating around the body. I have info from my exotic book I can pm you if you would like it

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
jesst said:
Redstrike said:

That is what they taught us during my exotic class in my vet tech program. Since the hind legs sure closer to the kidneys and they function differently then noirs does any injection in the hind legs will cause it to pass through the kidneys before circulating around the body. I have info from my exotic book I can pm you if you would like it

I'd like that! I don't expect a full transcription, the book citation is enough that I could either pick up a copy at the library or purchase one.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What your vet told you is old school. Nowadays injections are done like dead head told us.

If you can take a firm hold on one of the front feet, you can then gently pull out the leg. It may take more than two hands to do it. Once you have the leg pulled out, you can give the injection. You're not going to hurt the tortoise. Just be gentle and pull gently.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Redstrike said:
jesst said:
Redstrike said:

I'd like that! I don't expect a full transcription, the book citation is enough that I could either pick up a copy at the library or purchase one.

Thanks!

just sent you the info and citation. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.