Torta-Paluza at Sulcata_Sandy's!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Well, everyday is Torta-Paluza here.

I thought I'd share a typical morning here soaking everyone. I don't soak every tortoise every day, but a few are rehabs, so they get 2-3 soaks a day. Since I have today off and no plans, I decided to soak everyone and share my technique. They each have their own (labeled) soak tub, accept Mo, he's in the sink.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384105206.733012.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384105265.760324.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384105651.172186.jpg
Mo and his mangled beak

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384105685.252829.jpg
Lester the Russian, going to new home in a week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I thought Mo was so much bigger than that. Just goes to show you how pictures can be deceiving!

I notice rocks in the soak tubs? What is that for? Asking out of pure curiosity :D

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
That's so cool! I'm using ziplock Tupperwares for each of the Russians, and plastic dog bowls for the sullies.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Oliver stays inside the house!? Even my little sulcatas aren't allowed inside! They'd destroy everything! He doesn't poop everywhere?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Team Gomberg said:
I thought Mo was so much bigger than that. Just goes to show you how pictures can be deceiving!

I notice rocks in the soak tubs? What is that for? Asking out of pure curiosity :D

Mo is only 5 lbs....are you thinking of Oliver, who's 50 lb? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

The rocks are so they have a place to stand on. I've found, thru experimentation, a few like to push off something, or lay a head on something like a pillow.
I try every hard to learn what each one likes...deeper or shallower water, a rock, no rock, who tends to peek out, etc.

It's not much work at all. But then, I'm comparing to back when I had horses, and the constant care I give at the hospital. These guys are CAKE from what I'm used to. I keep a little spiral notebook and update it daily with a few simple notes for each tort.

tffnytorts said:
Oliver stays inside the house!? Even my little sulcatas aren't allowed inside! They'd destroy everything! He doesn't poop everywhere?

Oliver is living inside until I get moved in January/February. I won the Sulcata lottery with him...he is gentle, totally tolerant of the dogs that just wants to lay in the basking spot. He tried once to crawl into that Ikea shelf unit on the far bottom left of pic, but gave up. Only left a few tiny nicks in surface.

He has left a few "tootsie rolls" (hahaha) in the area near his hide, and it is easy to clean up.

So far he eliminated only on his pad, which is tucked under his hide, and has the PowerSun over it. I change is daily in what I call "tortoise laundry". I bought a package of those pads on eBay years ago for the dogs. They are for hospice patients to lay on. Work like a charm!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384108291.956360.jpg

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
Torta-Paluza!! Too cute! I love their little heads resting on the side peering out :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Image that! A sully who is almost toilet trained on pads! Now, that's one for the books. And my Oliver is soooooo gentle...love him to pieces!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
wellington said:
Just wondering, how are you keeping their soaks warm?

I set a timer for 10 minute, go about my chores, and check water. I had more warm if needed, make sure everyone is ok, etc etc. I do that three times. So they never get cold. It's worked very well! [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

sibi said:
Image that! A sully who is almost toilet trained on pads! Now, that's one for the books. And my Oliver is soooooo gentle...love him to pieces!

It seems most of my tortoises eliminate where they bask. I guess they get all warm and comfy and relaxed...and let it all go! HAHAHAHAAH

Your big baby Oliver has been nothing but a joy to live with. He comes to the dinning table where I sit with my art and my iPad, he often gets a leafy treat, wanders around (which he's doing now) then back to basking.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384111031.379573.jpg

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Great thread [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I don't like those. Too flimsy and expensive. I use the fabric, quilted ones for people, which work great when I have a bunch of dogs in a hotel room four stories up...when I a getting up at 4am to prep for a dog show, I don't want to schlep everyone down the elevator in my jammies. So they get herded into the bathroom and go on the pads. Toss in plastic bag, launder at home!

They are quite heavy-duty and stand up to a lot of abuse.