Tortise suitable Paint - new to the forum 😊

Irritatedpinky

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hiya, I new to the forum and my husband and I have 3 horsefields a Hermanns and most recently an African Spur Thigh ( and yet I'm the unreasonable one for wanting the big dog 😳😂).
I'd just like some advice please if possible about painting objects in the vivariums. I'm epileptic and sometimes get in a muddle with what food each tort can have. I'm not bad with clay, slate and stone etc so was going to make them food dishes and write the names and basic staples of what they can eat for each tort on the bowl/plate before its varnished or fired. That way if I've had a fit I can still get on with taking care of them 🥰

Can anyone recommend the best paint and varnish to use please? Are acrylic pens and waterproof varnish safe? These would be hand washed and note soaked. X

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Hello there, and a very warm welcome to the forum!
I have 2 Hermann's tortoises, they are both in 5 x 5 ft enclosures that were custom built for them (they are Juveniles) The paint and varnish that I used for their enclosures was a pet-safe mineral paint. I wouldn't recommend using acrylic because of the fumes, as well as the fact that it is much more artificial than mineral paint. I used the mineral based varnish on the inside and the regular mineral based paint on the outside, and after painting I let it air out for a couple of days before putting my torts in. Here are some safe options for your reptiles as far as paint and varnish go -

Irritatedpinky

UK
Hello there, and a very warm welcome to the forum!
I have 2 Hermann's tortoises, they are both in 5 x 5 ft enclosures that were custom built for them (they are Juveniles) The paint and varnish that I used for their enclosures was a pet-safe mineral paint. I wouldn't recommend using acrylic because of the fumes, as well as the fact that it is much more artificial than mineral paint. I used the mineral based varnish on the inside and the regular mineral based paint on the outside, and after painting I let it air out for a couple of days before putting my torts in. Here are some safe options for your reptiles as far as paint and varnish go -
Ah thankyou so much h for your help, I'll look into this 🥰