Tortoise and heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Today is 100 or about that.
I have my Russian outside. Only second day of her ever being an outdoor tort. Is it mostly sunny with a small amount of shade and her hides. Plenty of dirt to dig in. Is it safe for her to be outside or should she be indoors today?

Thanks!!

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
How old is she? I have a baby Leo and he can't be out too much :/ babies are extremely susceptible to illnesses, almost as if they catch a cold like we would. If its warmer outside than where she usually is, it should be fine

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Does she have leafy shade plants? Is this yard space or a tub sort of thing? If she has shaded areas, available water, planted coverage (a mini canopy), soil she can dig into, and it is all yard space, I would not worry.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
She is definitely an adult, age unknown. This is her enclosure, it is still in progress ImageUploadedByTortForum1378595346.778311.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would put a taller shade-providing area in there that has good birectional (or better) air flow for now (like a piece of 2' x 2' plywood about a foot and a half off of the ground with four legs to hold it aloft - well away from the walls) . I would add some plants that give a bit more overhang if you can. The grass tussock will probably do that eventually, although it is too small to do so right now.

Russians are decent climbers. Your might want to figure out a way to give that wall a "lip" to thwart escape attempts. A bit of earth moving or plant growth and she will use it to "Free Willy" out of there.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Baoh gave good input.

I'd like to add this.. Use some dirt to mound over the half log and clay pot hides. A few inches of dirt or so. It will not only make a mound she will enjoy climbing over, more importantly it will keep the hides cooler.

Sent from my TFOapp

Status
Not open for further replies.