Tortoise eating substrate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthesia

5 Year Member
I am new tortoise owner and I've read that they will oftern eat their substrate - I looked into this after mine tried to eat his. I have cyprus mulch and spanish moss. I am worried e will get sick if he's able to actually ingest this. Is this the case and what can I do about this??? Please help - I am worried sick about him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
synthesia said:
I am new tortoise owner and I've read that they will oftern eat their substrate - I looked into this after mine tried to eat his. I have cyprus mulch and spanish moss. I am worried e will get sick if he's able to actually ingest this. Is this the case and what can I do about this??? Please help - I am worried sick about him.

What species? How old? How big? What size and type of cage? What are you feeding?(besides substrate, :pHa Ha, just kidding)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I agree with Roachman. Post some details and some photos and you should get some good advice from the many experienced keepers on this forum.:)

In the short term, you can take your little guy off his current substrate and keep him on some paper towels or newspaper until a long-term plan can be devised. :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
300991lic6cn0tsx.gif

to the forum!!

synthesia

5 Year Member
Thanks to everyone for the quick help. "Speedy" is a Leopeard tortoise and about 4 inches long. I am not sure how old he is - I should have asked. I was feeding him mixed greens on day 1 and then bought some Healthy Herp instant meal tortoise food from the pet shop as I was worried about his Ca intakt. I aslo bought a cuttlebone which I haven't seen him bother with yet. Today I brought Turnip greens home as I read tthat they were pretty good for tortoises. Right now he is in a 10 gallon glass aquarium as I didn't know any better. I plan to upgrade his living arrangements by months end. Any advice is welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.