Tortoise Eye Problem

Jatitus

Has anyone had an eye issue like this before? I've been applying Terramycin ointment to it 3 times a day and soaking him in carrot baths once a day for 2 days now. Soonest reptile vet appointment is on Tues.

IMG_2262.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It looks like an injury. Does he still eat? If so, I wouldn't waste the carrot baby food on him. It doesn't do any good for a tortoise that is eating. The eye ointment will help soothe.

Let us know what the vet tells you.

Last edited:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Can not tell if there is mucoid d/c or the cornea is ruptured. If you can gently clean the eye w/ warm water and Q tip, you may have a better understanding with what is going on. Looks very swollen, May need to try and rinse the eye out w/ sterile saline.

Jatitus

Just one eye.

He wasn't eating but is grazing now.

I'll try cleaning it.

Thank you for responding to my post

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I can't see very clearly but it looks like a speck of blood on the lower lid, like a needle puncture site. If you have a headlight see if you can take a good look at it and what's under those lids (upper and lower), wet qtip (wet doesn't leave the fibers) and wipe, and flush, and wipe again, and flush... this is likely to work if there is foreign body. I'm glad you got the medicated drops already. If it's injury, she may need ointment and such to keep things wet and clean in there. Keep her away from very bright light for now.