Tortoise Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobtech

5 Year Member
So I have a couple tortoises, meaning I am becoming the adoption place for my friends tortoises they out grow. Which is awesome by me. My friend brought over a tortoise that had out grown its cage. I have plenty of room and am happy to have new friends. Long story short I need to identify this tortoise, so I can care for it properly. Sexing if possible as well. =)
100_5554.jpg

100_5553.jpg

100_5555.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
looks like a desert tortoise, to young to sex.

M

Maggie Cummings

Gopherus agassizii... too young/small to sex. It looks dehydrated,needs a good soak. I realize they are desert species, but they need to be soaked especially as young as this one. It looks to be about 2 yrs old maybe 3...but I hope you have given it a good long soak and will continue to do that every other day...thanks ever so...

Here's a link to a care sheet. It's not much of one but it will get you off the ground, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have as they are my favorite species...or there is a section here specifically for CDT and you can ask there...

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Gagassiziicare.htm

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree :) It's a Desert tortoise, Gopherus agassazii, and looking like a male to me.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was thinking the same thing Danny, it looks like it's going to the male side to me too. :D

mobtech

5 Year Member
Thanks to all. Seconds after the photos I did soak him/her. I felt the same way. I figured it was dehydrated. Thanks to all, my friend said she got it at a pet store. I will take good care, and get it back into good health.

pongpagong

5 Year Member
I also agree with Danny and Candy it is Desert and maybe Male..please soak your tort ASAP..:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Your friend is mistaken where she got it.. or the Pet store is a really bad one!!!
Be sure to keep it seperate from other torts. ANd I would plan Not to allow it to hibernate this year.
How could that small tort have outgrown a 'cage'? Do you know if it was cared for properly?
Diet?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I actually saw some about 15 years ago in a pet store for sale so it is possible but not likely.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
alotta pet stores out here (az)carry Desert Torts
some even keep em behind the counter and offer them as a cheaper alt to a sulcata
:(

mobtech

5 Year Member
I will not let him/her hibernate if that is the advise you are giving me. I am not sure friend is kinda loopy, she did use to live in Arizona though. I thank everyone for there insight. I did know to put it into lock down though. No contact with the others. He/she has been eating grass and has water available. Going to get this thing into great health. The aquarium she had it in was dropped earlier this week while cleaning and shattered. This is what prompted her to look for a new home. Thanks again to all for the help.

efciv

10 Year Member!
Calimesa, CA
I'm new to this forum and don't like my first post to be in the middle of another post, but how can you tell this DT needs a soaking by the picture? I will start a new post with pics and questions about our CDT. Thanks, Ed.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Here's what I see that makes me think he needs a soak, the plastron has a bunch of "white" on it (almost looks chalky in a sense) where it looks like things have dried out more or less. Also, if you look close, I'm pretty sure that's poop stuck to his bum ;)

Welcome to the Forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
efciv said:
I'm new to this forum and don't like my first post to be in the middle of another post, but how can you tell this DT needs a soaking by the picture? I will start a new post with pics and questions about our CDT. Thanks, Ed.

Hi Ed: Welcome to the forum!! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

mobtech

5 Year Member
Should I be giving him anything special? (calcium or other supplements) I am just making sure he does not hibernate and am letting him graze during the day with adequate water available.

Status
Not open for further replies.