Tortoise is not eating.

Location (City and/or State)
Newark, DE
The lamps are off at nights and he has water available at all time. It is also humid and i think he is sleeping in a humid hide. We feed him dandelion flowers and leefs, lettace, tomatos, cumcumber and other wild greens. He now sometimes eats after we bath him he did it 2 times. And he went from 76 to 63 grams.

Well you don't want to give him lettuce or tomatoes or cucumbers. He should be eating weeds from a safe source (no spraying) and you have to make sure that the leaves are on the "safe" list. Plantain, Dandelion, clover occasionally. I would still get him to a vet - he could have worms. That's pretty common and could explain the weight loss. You can see a list of suitable foods on the Russian care sheet.
[

Sharonnepon

Waarland
Update ; he hasn't eat all week and we bath him everyday.. still the heat and humidity is perfect. So we contacted a vet and see if we can do a check for parasites.

Sharonnepon

Waarland
He is doing great again ! The bathing really helped. He goes into his pool by himself now and he eets a lot ! And then i mean a lot ! Always begging for more food and trashing his home when he doesn't get any. He is back to his old self ! Thanks everyone for the tips and info. Greetings from me & Yoshi IMG_0036.jpg

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
He is doing great again ! The bathing really helped. He goes into his pool by himself now and he eets a lot ! And then i mean a lot ! Always begging for more food and trashing his home when he doesn't get any. He is back to his old self ! Thanks everyone for the tips and info. Greetings from me & Yoshi View attachment 221369
He is so cute!! What did you change? We had a hatchling Herman pass on us this week with exactly the same issues as your little guy! Glad you were able to heal little yoshi! Curious what you did to make a change so we don’t make the same mistakes a second time.

Sharonnepon

Waarland
I'm sorry to hear that.

We first used sand in his home and changed that to coco peat. And a lot of people told us we had to bath him so we did that every single day for about 10-15 min in warm water and after he bathed we put food in front of him, the first 2 weeks he didn't react to it but later he started to eat once a week and now he is back to his old self. Now he goes into his pool by himself, but if you see he doesn't go by himself you have to bath him a few times a week. It's also important that he poops when in his bath so you can check if that is alright. We feed him only vegetables and only from our own grocery store so no food from the pet store. We almost went to the vet to check if he maby had parasites but that wasn't necessary anymore. We also made sure the temperature is higher and the humidity is higher. We choose not to let him go in hibernation because he is still so young and we were afraid he wouldn't survive, so maby you should do that too next time. Also a good baking spot and uv lamp is very important (the uv lamp and basking spot are seriously very important), we have the lights on for about 15 hours a day. I also saw in your other post that you have a open house. This makes it very very hard to keep the temperature and humidity high so i think you should get a closed home because humidity and temperature are the key to his health.

I hope this helps you for the future.

Last edited:

Lisanne Allen

Indiana
Thank you very much! I truly appreciate the help! I hate that our efforts didn’t yield any improvement for our little guy. It was obviously too little or too late. He didn’t pick back up quick enough. 2 weeks is all we had of issues eating before he passed

QUOTE="Sharonnepon, post: 1539438, member: 101844"]I'm sorry to hear that.

We first used sand in his home and changed that to coco peat. And a lot of people told us we had to bath him so we did that every single day for about 10-15 min in warm water and after he bathed we put food in front of him, the first 2 weeks he didn't react to it but later he started to eat once a week and now he is back to his old self. Now he goes into his pool by himself, but if you see he doesn't go by himself you have to bath him a few times a week. It's also important that he poops when in his bath so you can check if that is alright. We feed him only vegetables and only from our own grocery store so no food from the pet store. We almost went to the vet to check if he maby had parasites but that wasn't necessary anymore. We also made sure the temperature is higher and the humidity is higher. We choose not to let him go in hibernation because he is still so young and we were afraid he wouldn't survive, so maby you should do that too next time. Also a good baking spot and uv lamp is very important (the uv lamp and basking spot are seriously very important), we have the lights on for about 15 hours a day. I also saw in your other post that you have a open house. This makes it very very hard to keep the temperature and humidity high so i think you should get a closed home because humidity and temperature are the key to his health.

I hope this helps you for the future.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Sharonnepon

Waarland
We bought a pack of coco peat in the petstore, then we had to mix that with water and this is what came out so we didn’t mix two types.