Tortoise isn’t eating.

orchidstory

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I might just be a paranoid tortoise parent but I think there might be something wrong with my tortoises mouth. When he is placed in front of food he seems to want to go after the food and eat but when he does he doesn’t open his mouth. I have a video of him below trying to eat. (I know he on paper towel but thats just for the video he gets feed on a long piece slate/tile). Is this normal or should I be worried?

I got him as a hatchling from a reptile expo about 3 almost 4 weeks ago. When I first got him I posted in a FB group about getting him and everyone told me he had shell rot (which has now been treated). But it just make me worried that there could be more wrong with him than that.

I normally offer him foods every day (mixed greens, veggie, cactus pads, and Mazuri) along with a daily 15 min soak. Temp get as low as 75 and the high is 88. Humidity varies between 60-80% (depend if the humidifier is running). Image of cage below.
IMG_2343.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
What is the basking temp? That is the temp right under the heat lamp. It needs to be 95ish. Maybe your basking temp is too low?
The way he pushes his face into the food looks like he is smelling it. That's how mine sniff their food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Do you soak this baby? Sit him in a bowl of warm water that comes up to the middle of his sides and just leave him there for a half hour or so, but keep your eye on him occasionally to make sure he's not tipping over in the water.

Have you ever seen his mouth open? Maybe (for whatever reason) it's stuck shut. If this is the case, soaking may help loosen it. If you don't feel comfortable trying to open his mouth by gently using a fingernail, then it might be a good idea to take him to the vet for them to try.

orchidstory

Missouri
What is the basking temp? That is the temp right under the heat lamp. It needs to be 95ish. Maybe your basking temp is too low?
The way he pushes his face into the food looks like he is smelling it. That's how mine sniff their food.

Right now the basking spot closest to the wood hide gets about 90. But doesn’t go higher than than. I’ll try to see if that’ll help :) thank you!

orchidstory

Missouri
Hi, and welcome!

Do you soak this baby? Sit him in a bowl of warm water that comes up to the middle of his sides and just leave him there for a half hour or so, but keep your eye on him occasionally to make sure he's not tipping over in the water.

Have you ever seen his mouth open? Maybe (for whatever reason) it's stuck shut. If this is the case, soaking may help loosen it. If you don't feel comfortable trying to open his mouth by gently using a fingernail, then it might be a good idea to take him to the vet for them to try.

I do soak him. But I normally only soak for about 10 min. I’ll try a longer soak and see if that helps. I haven’t seen him open his mouth before. I just always see him nudging the food like that. I’ll probably end up trying to take him to the vet next week (exotic vet for my area is on vacation this week). Thank you for the suggestions :)