Tortoise not eating and sleeping all the time!

Alounsbury

Location (City and/or State)
New York
My son just got a Hermanns Tortoise, baby. He really isn’t eating anything at all and is sleeping the majority of the day. He does bury himself in his substrate in his pen (coconut substrate). We put him in water, we have different kinds of foods. It says his temp of his basking area is 88-90.
we have never had a a tortoise before. Any tricks or tips?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Tortoises in general whether if it's a hatchling, yearling, or adult takes time to get used new surroundings. They need time to settle down and more importantly, feel safe enough to explore.

As a new owner I suggest reading this guide and change any or all equipment to what this guide specifies:

I say change any or all equipment because there's a very high chance that you've probably bought the wrong items (like many of us had done so as new owners) for your tortoise if you either purchased them at a pet shop, breeder using outdated methods, or haven't used specifically tortoise forum as your main source regarding tortoise care. And when I say wrong items I mean potentially unsafe and harmful to tortoises.

Pictures of your entire enclosure including what type of light bulbs (members need to see the physical shape of the bulb without the fixture attached to it) you specifically use will be most helpful if you want members to help identify what you can do to make your enclosure safer for your tortoise.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, pics of your enclosure would be great. Then like Minority2 said we can guide you if you have anything wrong.
There members here knowledgeable about Hermann's. Hopefully your little friend is just settling in.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
1. Members need a clear picture of everything inside your enclosure. Please take off the mesh screen and retake the picture showing the entire enclosure.

Fine mesh grate tops physically block out a significant portion of uv(B) rays. Either cut sections out to allow light to shine through or remove it entirely if you're not regularly taking your tortoise outside a few times per week for some supervised sun.

2. What size is your enclosure and what is the length of your tortoise?

3. Members need to see the specific type of light bulbs you're using. No one can tell what is inside that lamp fixture or how many total fixtures you're currently using. Web links to the specific model would help immensely.

4. The yellow temperature/hygrometer gauge and probe you're currently using may not be as accurate as should be. Does the box specific how accurate it is? Are you double checking your temperature/hygrometer gauges with another backup reader?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's an example of the kind of picture Minority2 is asking for:

1598018143744.png

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes a side view pic and a good pic of your tort would be great. If you can shut your lights off and flip them and take a pic. We can see the types of lights you are using. If the UVB light is coiled or looped type they are wrong. Those can damage the eyes of your tort. If the light is one of those types. I would turn it off. I see you are from New York. If you have access for your tort. You can take your tort outside for 1/2 hr in the sun. Every other day supervised. Soak after for a 1/2 hr in lukewarm water. Water should be up to where the top and bottom shell meet. Dont let the water cool down. The darn pet stores sell them but they don't really know how to care for them. It happened to me also.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The light if wrong could be hurting his eyes. That might be why he is inactive.
What is the name of your tort?