Tortoise not eating or moving much

Hsenfow

Location (City and/or State)
Bournemouth
Hi everyone,

Recently my tortoise hasn't been eating or moving about too much. This has only started within the last week, as before that he was moving about constantly and eating almost everything I gave him.

What sort of things should I check for to identify the problem?
I'm currently soaking him every day, and the temperatures are 95F directly under basking light, 81F in mid, and 76F at cool end. Humidity stays around 70.

He looks healthy other than the skin around his right eye, which looks a bit white. The eye itself is still black.

The only thing that may be causing problems is that the weather has gotten colder recently. Temp doesn't drop below 60F in the middle of the enclosure though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
What type of temp gauges are you using?.. just to be sure your temps are accurate. What type of uvb bulb are you using? Some cause eye irritation. What type of substrate? What do you feed him? A photo of his enclosure would help. Maybe a photo of his eye too.

Hsenfow

Bournemouth
Thanks for the reply, LaLaP.

The temperatures I listed were taken using an IR temperature gun, but I also have a stick-on thermometer.
I've got a long UV bulb running the length of the enclosure.
Not sure on the substrate. Got it from a pet shop. All I can say is they're little pieces of wood.
I've been feeding him a mix of lambs lettuce, frisèe and radicchio. I also add some rocket and coriander sometimes. Was giving dried dandelion but stopped because I read the eye problem may be dehydration, and I doubt dried food would help. Growing my own weeds and will give him those when I can.

Attached is a photo of the enclosure.
I've stuck paper along the front to stop him seeing out, as I've read this can cause stress.

I'll get a picture of his eye tomorrow if still needed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1540834619296108096674709827961.jpg
    1540834619296108096674709827961.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 44

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR

The temperatures I listed were taken using an IR temperature gun, but I also have a stick-on thermometer.
Not sure on the substrate. Got it from a pet shop. All I can say is they're little pieces of wood.
I've been feeding him a mix of lambs lettuce, frisèe and radicchio. I also add some rocket and coriander sometimes. Was giving dried dandelion but stopped because I read the eye problem may be dehydration, and I doubt dried food would help. Growing my own weeds and will give him those when I can.

I've stuck paper along the front to stop him seeing out, as I've read this can cause stress.

Thanks.
Well that all sounds pretty good. I think those stick on gauges aren't that great but if you are also using a temp gun that should be good. How long have you had him in that enclosure? Did you have him outside in the summer? Could be that he wants to hibernate. If that's the case you might need some brighter lights to convince him it's not time for a long sleep. But that eye is concerning.
Those are my only ideas... hope someone else has some.

Hsenfow

Bournemouth
Well that all sounds pretty good. I think those stick on gauges aren't that great but if you are also using a temp gun that should be good. How long have you had him in that enclosure? Did you have him outside in the summer? Could be that he wants to hibernate. If that's the case you might need some brighter lights to convince him it's not time for a long sleep. But that eye is concerning.
Those are my only ideas... hope someone else has some.

He's been in the enclosure for about a month now. He wasn't outside during summer because I only got him a month ago, plus I don't have a garden so having him outside isn't really possible.

I'll post a picture of his eye tomorrow morning. To me it doesn't look too bad, since he keeps it open and the eye is still black, but I'm no vet so don't know for sure.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell

Thanks.

What is that thin white stuff in the substrate? Hay?

What are you using to measure your humidity level besides those stick-on analog gauges?

Please purchase a digital food/weather branded thermometer and hygrometer reader with probe and check the enclosure if you do not have anything else.

Hsenfow

Bournemouth
What is that thin white stuff in the substrate? Hay?

What are you using to measure your humidity level besides those stick-on analog gauges?

Please purchase a digital food/weather branded thermometer and hygrometer reader with probe and check the enclosure if you do not have anything else.

Yes, the white stuff is hay, left over from when I had hay in the enclosure.

Currently I only have a stick on hygrometer for measuring humidity, so I'll take a look into buying a digital hygrometer now.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Yes, the white stuff is hay, left over from when I had hay in the enclosure.

Currently I only have a stick on hygrometer for measuring humidity, so I'll take a look into buying a digital hygrometer now.

Get rid of every single strand of hay in the enclosure. Leftover hay can be dry and very pointy. If you find that tedious I would recommend replacing the entire substrate with either grow quality coco coir and or fine grade orchid/fir bark. Substrate bought from tractor supply or gardening centers will usually be cheaper, washed, and cleaned prior to bagging.

Hsenfow

Bournemouth
Get rid of every single strand of hay in the enclosure. Leftover hay can be dry and very pointy. If you find that tedious I would recommend replacing the entire substrate with either grow quality coco coir and or fine grade orchid/fir bark. Substrate bought from tractor supply or gardening centers will usually be cheaper, washed, and cleaned prior to bagging.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll start that tomorrow morning and will either remove it all or, as you've said, purchase some new better substrate.
Do you reckon he's had some hay poked in his eye, which could be causing his lack of eating + activity?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll start that tomorrow morning and will either remove it all or, as you've said, purchase some new better substrate.
Do you reckon he's had some hay poked in his eye, which could be causing his lack of eating + activity?

I can't say for certain. Hay can be among one of many factors. Intense amount of heat and brightness from the mercury vapor bulb, dehydration, dryness, and dietary could also affect a tortoise's appetite. Removing one factor at a time and closely monitoring to see if symptoms remains or goes away is what I would keep doing for the time being if I was in your situation. Other members may have more to add.

1. What is the tortoise's current and past weight counts?

2. Where was this tortoise purchase from?

3. Do you know what type of conditions and level of care was given by the breeder?

Hsenfow

Bournemouth
I can't say for certain. Hay can be among one of many factors. Intense amount of heat and brightness from the mercury vapor bulb, dehydration, dryness, and dietary could also affect a tortoise's appetite. Removing one factor at a time and closely monitoring to see if symptoms remains or goes away is what I would keep doing for the time being if I was in your situation. Other members may have more to add.

1. What is the tortoise's current and past weight counts?

2. Where was this tortoise purchase from?

3. Do you know what type of conditions and level of care was given by the breeder?

In response to each of your questions:

1. I'm not sure on the weight. I haven't been weighing him. I'll buy some scales and will start doing so.

2. Purchased from a reptile shop near where I live.

3. Unsure on the breeder, but I believe the pet shop had quite a sparse enclosure (1 hide at cool end + some hay), not sure they soaked their tortoises, and I think they always fed them spring greens + those colourful pellets.

Hsenfow

Bournemouth
I tried taking a picture of his eye but it doesn't show up great on camera.
It's looking a little better than is has done, so maybe it was caused by dehydration. The eye is now just looking white mainly on the skin above.

I'll be removing the leftover hay over the next few days. Removed a lot of it this morning.

Attachments

• 20181030_070135.jpg
    20181030_070135.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32