Tortoise on back

CountingMareep713

Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, OH
I woke up this morning to my RT scratching the walls of his enclosure, that's usually normal though, he often gets up early and scratches the walls. I went over to check on him and I saw that he was upside down and not moving I thought the worst because I've seen videos of tortoises trying to right themselves. But it seemed like he wasn't even trying. Is something wrong with him? Should I be worried to leave him alone?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopards don't seem to try and help themselves either.
You should either put more flat rocks or something that he could use to get leverage to right himself or take out anything that he could climb or flip from.
Btw, once they do try and right themselves for a while and don't succeed, they will just lay there. He may have tried for some time and then gave up.
Give him a soak when you find him like that. They can dehydrate, because they usually pee a lot in that situation

CountingMareep713

Columbus, OH
The sides are really tall. 15" to be exact. I think the scratching I heard was him trying to right himself because he was near the side. This morning I again woke up to him scratching. I got worried so I checked and he was upside down in the same spot. He's been trying to get on top of this log hide and is falling backwards. I hurried it more into the substrate so it's not so tall. If he wants yo get in the log he can just burrow, I'm not sacrificing his safety for the convenience of a hiding place. Thanks for the info, he's new to me still and o have a lot to learn.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Your enclosure is too small. Your tortoise needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet, and that’s why he scratches. You also need to put sides on the ramp and second layer, because those are huge flipping hazards.