tortoise poop

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
hi peeps,

my tort is coming up 5, had no issues with him at all but since coming out of hibernation in jan he doesn't seems to poop like he used too.

so i rarely find any in his enclosure but when ever i bath him which i try to 1/2 times a week he poops good,

he seems his usual self tho, eating being mischievous walking and what not,

just wanted to know if anyone has any advice on this?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hi peeps,

my tort is coming up 5, had no issues with him at all but since coming out of hibernation in jan he doesn't seems to poop like he used too.

so i rarely find any in his enclosure but when ever i bath him which i try to 1/2 times a week he poops good,

he seems his usual self tho, eating being mischievous walking and what not,

just wanted to know if anyone has any advice on this?
That seems pretty normal. Older tortoises don't usually poop every day like babies sometimes do. Its also possible that he's eating it before you see it. That happens sometimes.

January is mid-brumation time for me. I'm curious why you woke him that early in the season?

Where is Redcar? Yorkshire Coast Redcar? This must mean you have a heated indoor enclosure for him?

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
That seems pretty normal. Older tortoises don't usually poop every day like babies sometimes do. Its also possible that he's eating it before you see it. That happens sometimes.

January is mid-brumation time for me. I'm curious why you woke him that early in the season?

Where is Redcar? Yorkshire Coast Redcar? This must mean you have a heated indoor enclosure for him?
so i have always hibernated him from december onwards and last year and this year i have for 6 weeks at a time,
i have had no issues and like i say he is action normal, eating and moving around as he has done, it was just the poop situation, he only ever seems to do it in the bath now.

yes i have tort table with the correct lighting/heating for him.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
What species? There's not much exercise room in a tort table for some species. He's an adult and they eat less, so they poop less. Also tortoises walk for miles in the wild and that gives the stomach help with digestion...just sayin...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so i have always hibernated him from december onwards and last year and this year i have for 6 weeks at a time,
i have had no issues and like i say he is action normal, eating and moving around as he has done, it was just the poop situation, he only ever seems to do it in the bath now.

yes i have tort table with the correct lighting/heating for him.
That is interesting to me. Most people brumate for around 12 weeks. Some as long as 16 weeks. I do 8-10 weeks for first year babies. I can't say that I know of anyone that only does it for 6 weeks. I wonder if there is any difference as far as the health of the tortoise is concerned? Is it better to do it longer? Do they get the same benefit from doing it for a shorter duration? Some people don't want to brumate, but their tortoise insists, and sometimes a 2-4 week "mini-brumation" snaps them out of it.

Sorry. This isn't related to your poop question. I just find it interesting. I'e never experimented with shorter and longer brumation durations, so I wonder how effective it is, and if it might be even better for them.

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
So when i first was looking into getting a hermanne, i bought from the site below, they have a wide range of info on torts and i have just followed the hibernation process from this, i have never ever had any issues with the hibernation process, its just this little issues im having with him not pooping in his enclosure, he does it in the bath and also if i let him roam around the house, his tortoise table is a decent size but maybe not big enough for him to go mental and roam, he does have plenty of space though.

this year, December time, i will hibernate him again, but i will look at double so id say around 12 weeks this time.