tortoise rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Ok so ive had my little russain tortoise Shelldon for about a year now but I have never told about how I got him. I was walking through Petsmart when I looked in the reptile section and saw a littler russain tortoise. He had mild shell rot and looked sick. They kept him in rabbit pellets. I told me dad (I was 12 at the time) and he said it wasn't a good idea to buy a sick tortoise and waste 100 dollars when he just might die. I only had 120 dollars at the time but I bought him anyway. Now he seems pretty happy and is very active. This shows that anyone, any age, any amount of money can make a differance in an animals life:rolleyes:. Just 2 days ago was the one year maker when I got Shelldon.

mshine1217

5 Year Member
Deer Lodge, MT
I don't think that it's unusual for you to remember the date that Shelldon came into your life. You took on a big responsibility when you decided that you were going to rescue him. If only more 12 (now 13) year olds were as responsible as you have been. Plus, I see by your signature that you are a caretaker to more than just Shelldon. Keep up the good work

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Thanks. Even though all my friends think I'm obsessed with torts, I tell them that they're worth it and there more like dogs than you think. They know their owners. They trust their owners. Most importantly they rely on their owners to give them what they need.

EKLC

5 Year Member
That's a very nice story. I can't stand to see a tort wasting away. It's a catch 22 because you hate to support the institution which neglects torts, but a personal boycott won't help the poor guy behind the glass

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
Shelldon was the 3rd and I already had a set up. I found a great deal with lights and the bulbs on craigslist so I just had to buy them. I spent the rest of my 20 dollars on substrate and a 50 gallon rubber maid tub

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
alben909 said:
Ok so ive had my little russain tortoise Shelldon for about a year now but I have never told about how I got him. I was walking through Petsmart when I looked in the reptile section and saw a littler russain tortoise. He had mild shell rot and looked sick. They kept him in rabbit pellets. I told me dad (I was 12 at the time) and he said it wasn't a good idea to buy a sick tortoise and waste 100 dollars when he just might die. I only had 120 dollars at the time but I bought him anyway. Now he seems pretty happy and is very active. This shows that anyone, any age, any amount of money can make a differance in an animals life:rolleyes:. Just 2 days ago was the one year maker when I got Shelldon.

Happiest of anniversaries to both you and Shelldon! :cool:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a great story for a 12 year old. Great that a kid can see the neglect, and even does something about it, yet sad that an adult doesn't see it or do something about it. Kudos to you and your happy tort:D

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Great story congrats, yes i know what you mean tortoises are very smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.