Tortoise Table(Pic) and RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvetteandandy

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I am very new to tortoises but learning fast. I posted on here a few weeks ago with a pic and description of my glass tank vivarium for my 10 month old marginated tortoise. After much concern about ventilation i decided to move him from the tank to a slightly wider open topped table.

The day before i moved him i did notice he wasn't his usual self. He slept until 11- where he is usually up and about as soon as his light turns on at 7. Then he wasn't very active the entire day- sleeping for most of it.

Now i fear he has developed Runny nose syndrome as the sleepiness and inactiveness continued along with a bubbly nose. I have booked a vets appointment for monday morning. He is very small and now i am worried this is all my fault and i potentially added to the infection due to the stress of the move.

I also changed the bedding from pet shop tortoise advertised pellets to a hemp bedding as suggested by the lovely members of the tortoise forum. Please can anyone advise me as to whether my table looks suitable now or if there are any factors that maybe contributing to my babies infection?? I also added tin foil to one end of the table to catch some of the warmth as i was worried that end was slightly too cool for him as he never goes there.

Many Thanks
Yvette
London, UK

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 147

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Yvette:

I really like your new habitat. Its spacious and looks like it serves the purpose.

I can only answer "general" tortoise questions because I don't keep marginated and I'm unfamiliar with your weather and heating arrangements in England.

I doubt the move had anything to do with his lethargy. Check your temperatures all over the habitat and be sure they're in the ranges they're supposed to be for Marginated tortoises.

Its good that you're going to the vet. I hope you have a vet that is familiar with tortoises.

Let us know what happens.

Rebee

5 Year Member
:)I would suggest checking your humidity near your basking area. Since I keep a watchful eye on humidity and temps my torts are more active.
yvetteandandy said:
Hey guys,

I am very new to tortoises but learning fast. I posted on here a few weeks ago with a pic and description of my glass tank vivarium for my 10 month old marginated tortoise. After much concern about ventilation i decided to move him from the tank to a slightly wider open topped table.

The day before i moved him i did notice he wasn't his usual self. He slept until 11- where he is usually up and about as soon as his light turns on at 7. Then he wasn't very active the entire day- sleeping for most of it.

Now i fear he has developed Runny nose syndrome as the sleepiness and inactiveness continued along with a bubbly nose. I have booked a vets appointment for monday morning. He is very small and now i am worried this is all my fault and i potentially added to the infection due to the stress of the move.

I also changed the bedding from pet shop tortoise advertised pellets to a hemp bedding as suggested by the lovely members of the tortoise forum. Please can anyone advise me as to whether my table looks suitable now or if there are any factors that maybe contributing to my babies infection?? I also added tin foil to one end of the table to catch some of the warmth as i was worried that end was slightly too cool for him as he never goes there.

Many Thanks
Yvette
London, UK

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Rebee:

Please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself.

Thank you for offering help in this thread. I don't know much about marginated tortoises and this thread didn't attract any other answers. However, the original poster (OP) posed her question, then never came back to the forum to read any answers. But since the archive is up for anyone to see on a 'net search, its nice to have good answers, such as yours, in the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.