Tortoise tracking

tutorturtle

I was thinking of attaching a tracking device to my Leopard Tortoise using duct tape. Is duct tape safe to use on his shell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't use it. Some brands stick pretty darned good and it might be harmful when you try to remove it.

Welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I wouldn't use duct tape.
Why do you want to fit the tracker ?

tutorturtle

He has already escaped once and it took us 4 days to find him. The transmitter is very small and recommended for cats, dogs, and tortoises.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Giving him a secure, escape proof enclosure is a much better option, in my opinion.
What happens if he escapes and is run over on the road, attacked by a dog or whatever ?
The tracker's not going to help much then.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Giving him a secure, escape proof enclosure is a much better option, in my opinion.
What happens if he escapes and is run over on the road, attacked by a dog or whatever ?
The tracker's not going to help much then.

~ Agree, security and overall safety should be a priority, a tracking device is not the solution based on the problem!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with your tort needing a better, safer, escape proof enclosure. They don't dig and they don't climb, so it should be a very easy fix. Now, if you had a russian that would be a harder fix as they can and do dig and can climb straight up. A leopard is very easy to contain.
Btw, how big is he, post a pic of him and one of the enclosure and we can help on making it better and escape proof. The sea turtle tracker is a kind of epoxy that in time will fall off.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
i have a very cheap and effective solution-------attach a BIG RED BALLOON on your tortoise
ac7534f14425d796b0242ada91c0d39d.jpg