Tortoise urine

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi all,
This evening just after my leopard tortoise lodger tucked itself away for the night I found a pool of its urine which was reddish/brown in colour . I have noticed it was pink in colour a couple of times but having read several threads on here I wasn't too worried because its main diet is dandelions, as they are the weeds i am most confident about recognising and it seems to prefer them to anything else. It has also been grazing well on the grass I laid for it and has a good appetite and is very active. I have seen it drinking and soaked it every couple of days so it should be hydrated well enough and it seems to wee OK as the paper in its temporary bed is always wet in the morning.

I think I will take a sample to he vets as soon as I can to be sure, but should I be worried and treat this as an emergency? Should I feed it on something else for awhile? if so what do you recommend - please bear in mind that I am new to tortoise keeping and not great at weed identification yet. Many thanks
Lyn W

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Dandelion will make the urine go pink for sure. Perhaps too much of it can cause the urine to go darker. I'd feed him something else for the next few days and make sure the urine is getting clear. Kale, plantains, clover, sedum, mulberry leaves, prickly ox tongue, mallow, etc.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Many thanks for reply, I will have to do check what these plants look like - I am terrified of poisoning the poor thing!
Regards

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi again,
Well we had a dandelion free weekend and wee seems much clearer, definitely not red/brown so I think it must be the dandys. I have tried to get a sample for the vets to be sure but because she has been weeing on paper it has been difficult, but will keep a close eye on things. She is very active and eating well.
Lyn W