Tortoise

Handford2001

Location (City and/or State)
Derby
I currently have a baby horsfield tortoise and considering getting another one. Is it okay to house them together. Thanks.

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Absolutely not, they are solitary creatures and are very territorial... you will always end up with one dominant tortoise, and one who gets bullied and spends it's time stressed and trying to hide/escape leading to illness and injury.
There's nothing saying you can't have multiple tortoises, but they will need to be housed separately 100% of the time.

Handford2001

Derby
Absolutely not, they are solitary creatures and are very territorial... you will always end up with one dominant tortoise, and one who gets bullied and spends it's time stressed and trying to hide/escape leading to illness and injury.
There's nothing saying you can't have multiple tortoises, but they will need to be housed separately 100% of the time.
Thank you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, in case you haven't found it yet this is the up to date caresheet for Russians

Np species should be kept in pairs and Russians are especially aggressive towards others in their space. Torts don't need or like company and in the wild they are solitary creatures so he'll be fine on his own having your undivided attention with no competition for food and basking spots stc.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I currently have a baby horsfield tortoise and considering getting another one. Is it okay to house them together. Thanks.
A pair would definitely be a bad idea. It is possible to keep multiple together however if you have sufficient space, and I mean lots. I have a small group in a large enclosure outside. They have plenty of room to get away from one another and various hides. For the most part they tend to avoid each other, they're antisocial (solitary) and keep to themselves aside from feeding time and the males getting a little frisky at times with the females. They do get into scraps here and there, but it's natural behavior and the altercations don't last long and they tend to work it out amongst themselves. They bask together and even sleep together in the same hide. Again, your tort would be fine alone, but always proceed with caution and monitor your tortoises if you do decide to get another. This is just my personal experience. Everyone's is different.