tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

margi

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi to everyone i am new to this forum and i am looking for a wee bit of advice, i am looking for a tortoise for my 11 yr old and i dont know what one to get or what they will live in, i have heard some names and beds for them but i want to be sure
any help would be great
thank you
margi

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
margi said:
Hi to everyone i am new to this forum and i am looking for a wee bit of advice, i am looking for a tortoise for my 11 yr old and i dont know what one to get or what they will live in, i have heard some names and beds for them but i want to be sure
any help would be great
thank you
margi
Hi Margi,

These are always difficult questions as we do not know your child or their full interest. In my own opinion, which isn't necessarily significant, is that an 11 year old is on the borderline age. My advice would be to not make the tortoise solely your child's responsibility, but more so a family pet and enjoy it together. Kids can have an incredible appreciation of animals, I know that I always had, but they lead much busier lives than when I was little and their attention is sometimes all over the place. I think a tortoise or two can be great additions to your family for everyone to enjoy.

That being said, there are several species that are very personable and forgiving to a new tortoise keeper. Try to start with a captive born tortoise, these will be much hardier and healthier. Then consider what space you have for an enclosure. Tortoises grow fairly slow, but you should stick with a species you can still accomodate as an adult. Consider how much you can spend. Tortoises can cost a bit on your initial purchase, but if properly cared for may still be around when your 11 yr old is in his fifties :)

Now for the good stuff:
Herman's Tortoise, Greek Tortoise and Marginated Tortoises - very attractive and personable tortoises. They are relatively modest as far as size goes, with the largest stopping around 12-14". If you stick with captive born, they are very healthy tortoises and are easy to feed and care for.

Russian Tortoise-very personable little tortoise. The majority of ones you see for sale are wild-caught. I would avoid these, since you are new to tortoises, as they are typically stressed and heavily parasitized. If you can find captive-born hatchlings or juveniles, this can make a nice pet. They, typically, grow to about 10".

Redfoot Tortoise-This is a very colorful and attractive species and I've always found them to be very personable. They get larger than the previously mentioned species and you need to make sure you can accomodate something reaching a potential 20". They like more humidity than the previously mentioned species and need a shallow water area to soak.

Those would be my suggestions on 5 species that are fun and attractive for both beginners and advanced hobbyists. You should be able to find a lot of care information on all of these species in literature and online. I would encourage you to read on various species and look at pictures with your child and see where the interest follows.

I hope this helps
Jeff

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing besides all the good advice that Jeff gave you: In my opinion, a tortoise is a wild animal (not domesticated), and as such needs to be outside. Most of us have to have them inside for the cold winters, but as soon as weather permits, the tortoise needs to be put into an outdoor enclosure. This is for his mental as well as physical well-being.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
margi, Welcome to the forum. Glad to see you are doing your research first. Some things to look for before you get your tort. A good Reptile vet specializing in torts in your area. (Torts are concidered exotics and as such can be rather expensive in vet care). Type of enclosure including substrate, heat lights, UVB lights Thermostats, Hydromiters, hides, water bowls etc. Most tort owners do not recommend Aquariums, see the Enclosure section for various reasons. I am not trying to discurage you. I just want you to understand this is not always an inexpensive venture.
Hatchlings are cute but more difficult. Rescues have Torts that need a good home I would contact some in your area. Ask lots of questions like the vets they use etc, Also you may want to join a Turtle/tortoise club in your area if there is one. They are a wealth of information and support. Good luck and keep us informed.

margi

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi and thank you all for your replies, i have been around a few places today for costings but what worries me is that i have read that a v table would be best than a tank style, but not of the places i went offered me the table! i agree it will be a family pet but to give her a bit of resposability i will say its hers, i didnt know there was tortoise care homes i will look that up does any one know of any in liverpool
one again thank you all
margi

Status
Not open for further replies.