Tractor trailers have driveshafts?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Driving to work the other morning, I saw a large dual tractor trailer spewing sparks at 4;30AM.

When I got closer before I passed, it looked like the rear end of a driveshaft had dropped and was bouncing on the road, with lots of sparks.

Do Tractor trailer Trailers, have drive shafts?

Magz, I know that you drove.....he had two sets of axles at the very rear of the rear trailer, would the closer axle have had a differential?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The tractor does have a driveshaft.
The trailer is not powered at the wheels.
There is a framework underneath and lots of parts than could dangle and spark.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That's what I thought too Z, and thank you guys
I've seen some type of long rod used to do something and usually tied to one side. Is that what the radius rod is?

but if I had given a police report "it looked like the knuckle end of a driveshaft sir"

I signaled him after I passed but he wasn't too concerned till he pulled away from the redlight...then he pulled over. He may not have been able to hear it at speed.

It was an odd thing to see and it was dead center of the axle and in my 4:30am mind, only one thing falls there......but I admit, I "minimized my risk" as I passed so I wasn't staring at it! I had premonitions of a 8' by 2.5" steel bar flying out in some random direction selected by fate! LOL

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've seen some type of long rod used to do something and usually tied to one side. Is that what the radius rod is?

but if I had given a police report "it looked like the knuckle end of a driveshaft sir"

I signaled him after I passed but he wasn't too concerned till he pulled away from the redlight...then he pulled over. He may not have been able to hear it at speed.

It was an odd thing to see and it was dead center of the axle and in my 4:30am mind, only one thing falls there......but I admit, I "minimized my risk" as I passed so I wasn't staring at it! I had premonitions of a 8' by 2.5" steel bar flying out in some random direction selected by fate! LOL
I think you probably helped the driver understand something was wrong.. And he waited until he could pull over safely out of traffic.👍

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club

Whatever it was, it shouldn't have been hitting the ground and I'm sure it would create a bad situation at some point

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Driving to work the other morning, I saw a large dual tractor trailer spewing sparks at 4;30AM.

When I got closer before I passed, it looked like the rear end of a driveshaft had dropped and was bouncing on the road, with lots of sparks.

Do Tractor trailer Trailers, have drive shafts?

Magz, I know that you drove.....he had two sets of axles at the very rear of the rear trailer, would the closer axle have had a differential?
American semi trucks typically use a 6×4 drivetrain, where three axles deliver the power to two wheel ends. This means there are two driveshafts, both rear and front. The front driveshaft is connected to the front differential and transfer case, using u-joints.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
American semi trucks typically use a 6×4 drivetrain, where three axles deliver the power to two wheel ends. This means there are two driveshafts, both rear and front. The front driveshaft is connected to the front differential and transfer case, using u-joints.
He saw it dangling from the trailer. Not the tractor.

Last edited: