Trouble with CHE & Inkbird thermometer

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello everyone. I noticed that my CHE continues to radiate substantial amounts of heat after the thermostat kicks off. Is this normal for CHE’s? I’ve double checked the thermostat settings and the heating element continues to over heat the enclosure. Any tips?

Texas
Correction: title should read inkbird thermostat not thermometer. I think the CHE is even staying on long after the thermostat has “turned off”. Has anyone else had this happen?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So no that's too hot for a tortoise. But whether or not the thermostat is working correctly depends on your setup - what was the max temperature you had for the thermostat? What fixture are you using, and wattage CHE? How far away is it from the substrate below?

If the thermostat is brand new and you want to try a replacement, go for it if you can exchange for free

Texas
So no that's too hot for a tortoise. But whether or not the thermostat is working correctly depends on your setup - what was the max temperature you had for the thermostat? What fixture are you using, and wattage CHE? How far away is it from the substrate below?

If the thermostat is brand new and you want to try a replacement, go for it if you can exchange for free
Max temp is 86. The substrate is about 8 inches below the fixture and it’s a 100w CHE. The thermostat worked perfectly for two weeks, maybe it is faulty.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Show us how you have it set up. What type of inkbird thermostat do you have? Where is the temperature probe in relation to the CHE and the entire enclosure? The thermostat plugged into your power source and the CHE plugged into the thermostat, correct?

These thermostats are extremely reliable and an issue with the thermostat is rare. Sometimes a probe can get damaged.

Texas
I have the Inkbird 1500W Temperature Controller C206T ($29 option). I had the temperature probe in the corner, so that the entire area would heat up to 80 degrees. That didn't work -- everything got way too hot. I then put the temperature probe directly under the CHE so that it would kick off power sooner to avoid the excess heat. I had quite a stressful night -- woke up several times to check on the temperature. This morning I raised the CHE fixture a few inches (now about a foot above the substrate) & it (so far) has been keeping the area between 82 and 86 degrees. The corners are a little cooler than I would like (73 degrees F), so I will need to play with the setttings, maybe I'll raise the temp on the Inkbird to 88.

Texas
Show us how you have it set up. What type of inkbird thermostat do you have? Where is the temperature probe in relation to the CHE and the entire enclosure? The thermostat plugged into your power source and the CHE plugged into the thermostat, correct?

These thermostats are extremely reliable and an issue with the thermostat is rare. Sometimes a probe can get damaged.

Attachments

• C1FA6AC3-D4B8-4324-AAAB-734337D7675D.jpeg
    C1FA6AC3-D4B8-4324-AAAB-734337D7675D.jpeg
    709.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 2D9B196A-DE8E-4AB4-8725-9E11EEF836F2.jpeg
    2D9B196A-DE8E-4AB4-8725-9E11EEF836F2.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 25