Thermostats

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I've been using thermostats in my tortoise enclosures since I started keeping tortoises, but have recently been upgrading from pretty basic ones to slightly more sophisticated (and slightly more expensive) ones.

Screenshot_20230527-180017.png
I started with these, with which you program in your desired temperature and place the sensor in your enclosure... when the sensor registers a temperature before the desired temp, it turns on the heating element plugged into it; when it reaches the desired temperature, the thermostat turns off the hearing element.

I keep the thermostat in Darwin's, the Redfoot I live with, enclosure set to 86°, and it cycles within a degree or two of that all the time.

Screenshot_20230527-175940.png
When I set up the bigger enclosure, for Aretha, the MEP I love with, I needed a thermostat that could handle higher wattage as I was using a more powerful heating element. The benefit I hadn't planned on was that this type of thermostat allows me to program in a range of temperature for the enclosure.

I have Aretha's enclosure thermostat set to have the heat come on when the temperature sensor registers 68° and turn off again when it registers 84°, allowing a 16° range through which the enclosure cycles.

(I also have a CHE in one corner, near the UV lighting that runs on a 12/12 cycle, so that she can come over to find some extra warmth if she's in the mood)

I'd be interested in hearing about other uses of, or preferences with, thermostats....

Jamie

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
I use Vivarium Electronics thermostats for my ceramic heat emitters. I use them in enclosed chambers and love them. They have a night drop capability and are very accurate and dependable. They are easy to program. Let me know if you need my particular model number. I use them for my radiated tortoise juveniles.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've used Herpstat and Vivarium Electronic in the past, they work fine if you want something plug/play. But for a stack of enclosures, or multi zone, I think it's easier to use the inkbird itc -1000 or a similar brewing thermostat. Or one of the control boxes to house them if you more than a handful.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I use Vivarium Electronics thermostats for my ceramic heat emitters. I use them in enclosed chambers and love them. They have a night drop capability and are very accurate and dependable. They are easy to program. Let me know if you need my particular model number. I use them for my radiated tortoise juveniles.
I'd love to get the model number from you.

J

Ergotaxon

Portland, TX
VE-300 or VE-300X2
The VE-300X2 will allow you to control temps in two different zones and includes 2 probes. VE-300 is only one probe and zone.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I use both models mentioned above. The VE in my incubators where I need a much more precise temperature and desire a very small hysteresis plus I use a night drop to more closely emulate what I believe occurs in wild nests.

I use the inkbird ITC-1000 in all the enclosures I build and use personally. I have some that have been running for 10+ years with no issues. You can also set the "differential" in these thermostats to allow a much larger hysteresis like you are doing with Aretha.

In my night houses I use the Inkbird wifi ITC-308 thermostat. I want to be able to check temps there from anywhere and get alarms through internet if issues arise. I did extend wifi coverage across a lot of my acreage to include my barn to ensure proper monitoring. This also then allows monitoring of all my SensorPush though the extended wifi network.