Troubles' shell having problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
So I have had my russian tortoise Troubles for about 3 weeks now.
When i first got him he had some white spots on his shell, and parts where flaking off. I didn't know anything about tortoises when I adopted him, but after doing some reading I found out that there's a lot of things that can go wrong with their shells. I'm a little worried because his shell doesn't look like it's in good shape.
Everything indicates that he's healthy. He eats once or twice a day, and is fairly active. His shell doesn't smell, its not oozing or soft. I thought maybe it was shell rot so for more than a week I treated him at home with povidine-iodine. I saw no improvement besides him becoming more active but also things didn't get worse. I am including a recent photo. Is it old shell-rot? Will his shell always look like this? What can i do to improve it?

Attachments

• DSCF0372.JPG
    DSCF0372.JPG
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 77

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've not seen shell rot first hand, but from what I know this could be shell rot among other possibilities. At first glance it looked like he had a run in with a dug, but the damage is only to the top layer of the shell so that probably isn't it. Maybe he rubbed it on something...

All else considered, he should still be able to live a good life.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too thought shell rot recovery..then kinda thought perhaps injury from too close of exposure to heat source....very hard to tell for certain...however, from oic it appears healing over....he is very pretty...:D

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
ascott said:
I too thought shell rot recovery..then kinda thought perhaps injury from too close of exposure to heat source....very hard to tell for certain...however, from oic it appears healing over....he is very pretty...:D

Troubles says thanks for the compliment :p
do you think I should continue cleaning the shell with povidone iodine or should I just stick to regular soaks?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I wouldn't clean it any more with the idoine. If it IS shell rot, and I don't know if it is, you can put some clotrimazole 1% on and see if it clears up. This is a antifungal cream for athletes feet. I don't know anything about Russians, but I had to treat a few box turtles and my Cherry Head with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.