Turning nocturnal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
I love my crested geckos but the fascinations I have for them are not helping me to go to sleep earlier. It's now 1:06 p.m. P.T. I'm going to give up catching my geckos eat and retire for today. Good night!;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think you meant to say it was "a.m." no?

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Hehe. I havenever seen my geckos eat!
All I find are licking indents the next morning.
we will one day, mado.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
yes, a.m., thanks Yvonne. my brain is not functioning well at this late hour.

I can never tell from CGD whether they eat them or not but it is evident that the crickets were eaten. The tall jar method worked where they can get in but crickets can't. All of them gone overnight.

:)

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
How big are your cresties? If they look healthy and are not loosing weight they are eating. First time I caught one of mine eating when i first got a baby was at 4 am and he took 3 licks and it was over,lol.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I stay up usually, til around 3am. Certified NIGHT OWL! I always see my geckos eating! If you want, put food out earlier, and make the room dark. Get a small flashlight, or for the very skittish or shy, one with a red bulb and go back in about 15 minutes. The majority of my crew (17) can't resist the smell of fresh food! My youngest are always right there eating.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
3 a.m.! That's late. I went to sleep at 2:30 a.m. pushing some paperwork for the end of the month/beginning of the month usual craziness. Lately, I've had to bring back some work home so I'm right here by their cages typing away w/my laptop.
I leave the area where they are pretty dark w/their red light on, but I think they eat after they see me leave. I requested my husband to get me an infrared goggles so I can make the room completely dark and I get to peep on them. Is that crazy?

My first boy Hans was 7 gram 2 months ago and still growing. He's definitely eating CGD when I'm not looking--it's verified from his poop. He's what I guess can be called skittish but I was pleasantly surprised that when I put him in a separate container w/small crickets he hunts for them really well.
The girl Jolie I acquired a month ago is little fuller (thicker thighs and bigger hands/feet even an eye balls) but I have not yet weighed her in--It seems like I can feel her weight on my back but I can't feel Hans; he's so light. She's easy going...much more gentle and observant. I don't know if she's watching me or I'm watching her half the time.

When DT comes out of hibernation, I'll have to wake up earlier but for now, I'm right behind you, Meg!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Some cameras have a night shoot mode ;) I'm an all-outer when it comes to my pets.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
I find that I naturally have an extended sleep/wake pattern (which is actually somewhat common). Basically, if I don't have to wake up in the morning for a while, every single day I will stay up later and wake up later, so eventually my sleep cycle switches to nocturnal, and then back again... pretty messed up, but luckily (I guess) I have not had a free week with nothing to get up and do in the morning for years.

The unfortunate part is that most of my animals are diurnal, so I see them at 8am when I leave and 8pm or later when I get home (at times my daily schedule means being away and busy from 8:00am-2:00am). Summer is much better though, and I try to make up for it on the weekends :)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I saw one of my males eat today.
And likee blayza said, only about 4 or five licks.(that I witnessed so far)

I have to awaken at 7am dailey so I fall asleep around 11 & I get alittle gecko action!

If cgd was human edible, I'd scarf that shiznit in a heart beat
Mado, goggles would he super cool. Haha .

Madortoise

5 Year Member
dreadyA said:
I saw one of my males eat today.
And likee blayza said, only about 4 or five licks.(that I witnessed so far)
I have to awaken at 7am dailey so I fall asleep around 11 & I get alittle gecko action!
If cgd was human edible, I'd scarf that shiznit in a heart beat

Mado, goggles would he super cool. Haha .

Good for you.

I read in some other forum that someone was comparing the taste of old CGD and new flavor CGD. It smells like a banana shake to me.

Goggles--To come...

Status
Not open for further replies.