Turtle on road! (Chicken turtle)

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Was driving home today and I saw a pretty small/ medium sized turtle crossing the road! At first, I thought/ really hoped it was a florida box turtle because that road spot was where I found a florida box turtle crossing a few years back. However, after I stopped and took some pics I realized it was a Florida chicken turtle! First time I have seen one! The area where it was found is cow fields and wooded areas, with a pond and some streams nearby. The turtle was heading across the road away from the pond and I moved it across to where it was headed after pics. I can't really tell if it was male or female, I'm bad at sexing turtles. So if any of you can tell from my pics that would be cool. Didn't get a good pic of the tail and cloaca as I was in a rush. But yeah, super cool turtle!
IMG_6626.jpgIMG_6629.JPGIMG_6625.JPGIMG_6627.JPG

Last edited:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Was driving home today and I saw a pretty small/ medium sized turtle crossing the road! At first, I thought/ really hoped it was a florida box turtle because that road spot was where I found a florida box turtle crossing a few years back. However, after I stopped and took some pics I realized it was a Florida chicken turtle! First time I have seen one! The area where it was found is cow fields and wooded areas, with a pond and some streams nearby. The turtle was heading across the road away from the pond and I moved it across to where it was headed after pics. I can't really tell if it was male or female, I'm bad at sexing turtles. So if any of you can tell from my pics that would be cool. Didn't get a good pic of the tail and cloaca as I was in a rush. But yeah, super cool turtle!
View attachment 330667View attachment 330668View attachment 330669View attachment 330670
GOSH!!! SO beautiful!!!
You've done a very good deed- major karma points, I'd say! ;-)