Turtle pooped this out

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
image.jpgSo I took my tortoise out to feed and soak and he pooped out this is does not look normal at all it was awful I got no clue what it could be it looked like mucus it was stringy

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Wow, that awful! Don't know what it could be, but if you're really concerned, I'd pick it up in a plastic bag and go to your vet so that they can run an analysis of the stuff.

LRobb88

5 Year Member
That doesn't really look like urates, I'd get it checked out or hopefully someone on here can answer, but urates are typically more chalky in my experience than mucous-like.

LRobb88

5 Year Member
Sorry if that was a poor choice of adjectives but thats the texture I mean (I would consider toothpaste to have a somewhat chalky texture, as I would the photo on the urates page).

In either case, not really mucous-like

Mightymcknighty

5 Year Member
Well my tort seems to be doing fine he has been eating and doing his own thing no sign of anything yet! Thanks for all these messages I really confused when it came out from him, my friend also witnessed it come also he couldn't believe it ha thanks a lot all!

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
My iguana poops out something very similar, so I'm pretty used to seeing it unfortunately...

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Mucous usually means irritation. But it could be an isolated thing. Just keep a close eye. You might want to have the vet do a fecal to check for parasites.