Turtle Turtle Turtle - That's a Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
just saw these today, along with some funny videos from the same channel on youtube. If I just post this alone, there are bound to be some criticisms so I'll attempt to cover them.
1. well yes, it's a tortoise. they got that right.
2. it looks kind of pyramided, no?
3. is making your tortoise ride a turntable good for it? does it prevent or correct pyramiding?
4. some "turtles" have "tortoise" in their name I know that, are there cases of tort species having "turtle" in their common name? seriously, I don't know. anyone?
5. Is that plant the tort was sitting in/next to safe to eat? another one I'm not really sure of, I have lots of it in my yard I think, let me know.
6. Should I start letting my torts walk around on the floor of my house? :p

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRWAFQqQY9Y[/video]
just another one from them
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWCvYVdl6M[/video]

a different channel but saw it today also
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvUi8d7kSM[/video]

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Okay those were funny, I like the first one because I am constantly telling people that Vegas is a tortoise not a turtle when they ask "what kind of turtle is that"

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While a lot of people are offended by calling a tortoise a turtle, it is completely accurate to do so.

All shelled reptiles* are turtles. Some turtles are tortoises. Or- all tortoises are turtles, some turtles are tortoises.

It is unfortunate that the large group name and one of the sub-group names are the same, but the more accurate large group name of 'chelonians' has never really caught on.

(*= there is a lot of evidence that turtles (and crocs) are not reptiles, but members of more ancient groups lumped in with snakes, tuataras and lizards.)

Just because I enjoy this sort of thing, it is the same issue with 'venomous' vs. 'poisonous' snakes. Poisons are things that are bad for you (to use a really oversimplified definition), venoms are poisons that are taken internally but not by mouth- like injection (venoms often can be safely eaten and break down in the digestive system- most other poisons do not), and toxins are naturally occurring poisons. Thus, the poison in the snake's head is a toxin that becomes a venom when injected. But the key point is that it could not belong to the subcategory of a venom if it did not first belong to the larger category of poisons.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
haha I love Parry Gripp's songs..."Chimpanzee riding on a segway" and "Boogie Boogie Hedgehog" are personal favorites :p
Although I did cringe seeing the tort on the turntable :(

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
hmm, interesting. thanks for clarifying Mark!

And Katie, I love the baby monkey going backwards on a pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.