UK General Election - wonder if we can vote for Harry Potter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Possibly opening up a huge can of worms here....

So the UK election is coming up next week. I was about set to finalise my voting choices but the more i think the more i think i wont even bother....

Gordon Brown called an ordinary woman a 'bigot' for asking ordinary questions.

Nick Clegg has some good ideas, untill he wants to save money by pulling out funding our neuclear arms projects.

David Cameron wants to carry on keeping the rich rich by cutting inheritance tax rates, abolishing tax credits to keep the poorer poor, and stopping benefits to people who 'can work' but 'are not in work'.

Man alive!

Things would be much more simple if we could vote for Harry Potter! And lets not get started on Britain and the European Union :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am gonna use some harsh language so please forgive me, but if you don't vote, then you can't ***** about the goverment. How about as write in campaign for good old harry, he's old enough now is't he?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
You know, every time I find myself exasperated with the American press corps, I'll read a story about something that happened in England, and think we're tame by comparison!

Brooke, you were also worried about the influx of eastern Europeans coming to work in England as members of the EU, then taking those strong British pounds and sending them all back home--so, not investing as much in your adopted country as perhaps one should in gratitude for the opportunities it provides. I feel like Gordon Brown is expressing the modern English view that your country must be open to immigration, especially with their history of colonialism, but I completely understand that many English people are afraid that the English culture and traditions are being threatened by too many immigrants, not to mention the education and welfare system being "overtaxed" as it were.

I don't have an opinion about your next Prime Minister, but I do think that the results will affect the government policies of more than one EU nation going forward.

S

stells

I don't vote... and never have... at the end of the day they aren't worth moanng about... they all do the same thing in the end....

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Well, a hung parliament at the moment. Will be an interesting aftermath. And our local results STILL arn't in. I know we are a rural area, but really, could they count much slower?!

DMMJ - i do always vote. I voted for the local choice of our area - Tim Farron. And i do so without hesitation. However, there will probably be a change to the voting system here soon as at the moment i vote twice once for Ambleside (village)and Westmorland (region). They add all the regional votes together to decide who will be the new PM. There is talk of having three votes because for example by voting for Tim Farron i am automatically voting for Liberal Dem. Local choice and national choice are construed as the same thing. The reality is that many people would like to vote differently locally and nationally. I hope that makes sense.

Maybe we can start a campaign for Harry Potter in the meantime while people sort themselves out?!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Hooray for a 3-(or more?) party system and coalition governments...got to respect the structure that evolved from the Magna Carta. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.