uneven growth in scutes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cecilia, Kentucky
One of my sulcata hatchlings scutes are uneven.
Will this affect it's health or is it just cosmetic?
The other 3 look fine but now I'm concerned.
Here are some pics:
215r48.jpg

2itlmcg.jpg

And here's a pic of the other 3
2q3zotl.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That happens often. I believe it to be cosmetic, and would not effect the tortoises health in any way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When the tortoise is dry, take a Q-tip dipped in mineral oil and gently rub back and forth on the seam between the scutes in that area. You are rubbing lubricant into the space between the scutes, then massaging it. When you're finished, take an absorbent cloth or tissue and wipe it all off. Do this every day for a while until you start to see that it is breaking apart. It may take a while. If it never breaks apart, like what Neal said...its not harmful.

badkitty

10 Year Member!
Cecilia, Kentucky
Ok thank you both, I think I only have baby oil in the house so ill have to get some tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby oil would work too. Just be sure to wipe it all off when you're finished.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It all depends what you call cosmetic. The skeletal system of this tortoise is not growing properly. I believe it is because something that should be in the diet isn't. I don't believe any amount of oil will get the underlying bone to grow. My 11 year old leopard has two scutes that haven't grown on one side in ten years. This year, I have 1/8" new growth there. I feed mazuri, and though I don't know if it is just basic nutrition, or a lack of some trace element, this will help you get back on track. I had one a couple of years ago, that I overturned as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.