Update on Pyramiding

BabyJim

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, California
Hello!

This is only my second post here. I previously posted asking if my Sulcata (Jim) was pyramiding which I learned he was. I bought him at 4 months old in February 2020 and he was severely pyramided as seen in the picture. As we are now in the end of July here is an update on his shell (2nd picture). He spends most days outside from 10am-7pm when weather permits and I soak him every day for 30-40 minutes. The cool side of his enclosure is kept at 81-82 degrees Fahrenheit and humidity at 80%-95%. Please let me know if he is doing well and any other tips. Thank you!

Attachments

• ink.png
    ink.png
    681.1 KB · Views: 35
  • ink (1).png
    ink (1).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 36

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
It doesn’t look as if it’s getting better, taking your tortoise for some UVB is great but it can dry out the Carapace if its left to long or the humidity levels are low.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The pyramiding that he already has will never go away, but it will become less noticeable as he grows. I think the new growth may be smoother, but it's hard to tell.

The main thing he needs is a closed chamber. Your temps sound pretty good, so maybe he's already in one?

He really should not be outside for so long each day. It's not 80-95% humidity outside, yet he's out there for hours. Take him out for a couple hours each day, then get him back into his humid enclosure. You are doing great with his soaks! You can also spritz his shell several times a day with water. To avoid stains, use distilled, RO, or rainwater to spritz.

With daily effort, you will be able to stop the pyramiding from progressing any further.

BabyJim

Riverside, California
The pyramiding that he already has will never go away, but it will become less noticeable as he grows. I think the new growth may be smoother, but it's hard to tell.

The main thing he needs is a closed chamber. Your temps sound pretty good, so maybe he's already in one?

He really should not be outside for so long each day. It's not 80-95% humidity outside, yet he's out there for hours. Take him out for a couple hours each day, then get him back into his humid enclosure. You are doing great with his soaks! You can also spritz his shell several times a day with water. To avoid stains, use distilled, RO, or rainwater to spritz.

With daily effort, you will be able to stop the pyramiding from progressing any further.
True.. never thought about the lack of humidity outside even though it's so obvious. He loves roaming the grass but I will definitely limit his time out there starting immediately. And yes he has a closed chamber enclosure. I think the new growth is smoother but could definitely be better. I'll also get a spray bottle with purified water to spray his shell.
Thank you for the informative feedback!