Update with pics on my Tort Table

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
I don't know what I would do without this forum!
I am posting these pics of my tort table from today. I tend to learn at least one thing weekly that I need to modify so my table changes often...
The cold snap we had this past week has taught me that I need additional heat sources for night time plus a little extra for the day.
Due to my many humidity questions, several of you reached out to me via PM and a few more I have reached out to on my own. I can't thank you enough. I don't regret jumping into the tort world one bit. It has been a fascinating journey so far and I am determined to get this right!
We added a humidifier and piped it in to create a fogger. It is a cool mist and really ramps up the humidity thanks to the fitted plexiglass panels my husband put in to held the humidity. I don't keep it on long. Just 15 mins or so at a time throughout the day.
During the cold front, my normal basking temp remained around 92 - 95 degrees but the cool end was closer to 70 vs normally about 78.
Here's my plan for the next step to guard against our next cold front. I sincerely welcome any criticism/feedback you experienced Red Foot keepers have and thank you as always for your replies:
1) I am ordering water proof heat rope from Big Apple Herp to serpentine from the cool end to about half way down the table. Will also be adding a thermostat.
2) I am adding a black light to the cool end of the table for night time.
**Side question - recommended wattage? Can it be placed under the plexiglass or do I need to create an opening? I was hoping to cut a small opening just big enough for the light's wires then line that with foam to help keep the integrity of a sealer. Does that make sense?
Relevant info: my tort is a Cherryhead baby - hatched 7/5/13. My table is 34" wide X 7' long.
I know this is a long post. Thank you for reading!ImageUploadedByTortForum1385820311.012952.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385820324.770851.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1385820336.337754.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would go with a che on a thermostat for the cool end . The heat rope under the substrate is awesome for making humidity but not really good for making air temperatures higher . Your basking spot is right on the money a che and a thermostat is what I would spend the money on .

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
I would go with a che on a thermostat for the cool end . The heat rope under the substrate is awesome for making humidity but not really good for making air temperatures higher . Your basking spot is right on the money a che and a thermostat is what I would spend the money on .

Can I put the CHE below the plexiglass as long as it's on a thermostat? Would you place it towards the center of the table, or closer to the cool end?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It depends on how tall your enclosure is . I have a one hundred watt che 12 " high and the temperatures under it is 95 degrees for a sulcata. But for my reds I have a one hundred watt che is set 20 " high for a temperature of 85 degrees. So mounting it inside your just going to have to play around with the hight of it .

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
mike taylor said:
It depends on how tall your enclosure is . I have a one hundred watt che 12 " high and the temperatures under it is 95 degrees for a sulcata. But for my reds I have a one hundred watt che is set 20 " high for a temperature of 85 degrees. So mounting it inside your just going to have to play around with the hight of it .

I'm going to try for below the glass. My humidity is perfect now and I hate to open a big space in the center. I'll set the thermostat for 85 and see how that goes.