updated squirts enclosure

stutz

5 Year Member
Does he eat the mazuri LS? Mine wouldn't touch it. I have a couple bags if you're ever close to dayton.
He used to but now since I've been giving him the other he won't eat the ls either.I have a 25# bag of it too.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Huh. Figures. The LS is horrible. I guess I'll just toss it. Enclosure looks good. Are you watching the humidity? Looks a bit dry. He looks like mine despite being a brown. He's so cute.

stutz

5 Year Member
Huh. Figures. The LS is horrible. I guess I'll just toss it. Enclosure looks good. Are you watching the humidity? Looks a bit dry. He looks like mine despite being a brown. He's so cute.
The humidity most of the time is around 70 percent or higher. Sometimes it's dropped down to 55 I have to keep misting. That's why I want to get a misting system for it.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
You can just cover the top with plexiglas and pour a cup of water into the mulch every so often. Some people cover with foil...

stutz

5 Year Member
You can just cover the top with plexiglas and pour a cup of water into the mulch every so often. Some people cover with foil...
What about oxygen for them to breathe? If you cover it all up they won't have any air will they.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
you wouldn't be covering up Where the lamp is...even if you did it wouldn't be airtight and you'd be opening it every day to soak him and feed. Look at the small crack for air mine have where the top lifts up...mine have more than doubled in weight in the 3 months i've had them. They're baby blacks though. They're about 300 grams now at 5" and 8 1/2 months.

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_225756.jpg
    IMG_20150207_225756.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 28

stutz

5 Year Member
you wouldn't be covering up Where the lamp is...even if you did it wouldn't be airtight and you'd be opening it every day to soak him and feed. Look at the small crack for air mine have where the top lifts up...mine have more than doubled in weight in the 3 months i've had them. They're baby blacks though. They're about 300 grams now at 5" and 8 1/2 months.
I need to find out how old mine is for sure. My friend who got it for us thought he was 2 years old but now I'm starting to wonder. He still likes to go hide all the time. The only time he comes out is to eat or when I call him out.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
you haven't had him long, have you? if you've changed his surroundings at all it takes Tortoises 2 or 3 weeks to get used to it. my leopard tortoise was in a baby pool for a month While I fixed up his enclosure. then it was another moNth before he really started eating daily. what I think also Didn't help was his baby pool was on the floor. people looks really big from down there. Now he's elevated in his home. I think it's great that yours will come out when you call him. These kind of torts Are notorious for being shy when small and gradually getting more outgoing and being very UNshy when adults. Is that the only reason you think yours might be younger?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
you could also try less direct light. Both brown and black burmese tortoises are Forest dwellers and don't get a lot of sun. maybe you can get an average sized spider plant and Sink the pot in the corner. he can hide a little bit and Nibble as well.

stutz

5 Year Member
you haven't had him long, have you? if you've changed his surroundings at all it takes Tortoises 2 or 3 weeks to get used to it. my leopard tortoise was in a baby pool for a month While I fixed up his enclosure. then it was another moNth before he really started eating daily. what I think also Didn't help was his baby pool was on the floor. people looks really big from down there. Now he's elevated in his home. I think it's great that yours will come out when you call him. These kind of torts Are notorious for being shy when small and gradually getting more outgoing and being very UNshy when adults. Is that the only reason you think yours might be younger?
I was just wondering since yours is only 8 1/2 months old and their already at 5 inches.

stutz

5 Year Member
you could also try less direct light. Both brown and black burmese tortoises are Forest dwellers and don't get a lot of sun. maybe you can get an average sized spider plant and Sink the pot in the corner. he can hide a little bit and Nibble as well.
I have a fake plant in the corner but he doesn't seem to mind the light he eats every day. Last night he decided to be very ambitious and knock over the plant in his enclosure and climb on top of his fake log where he hides.

Attachments

• KIMG0165.jpg
    KIMG0165.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
OH! Well. The only differences between brown and blacks are the plastron lines and size. Blacks can get twice as big full grown as browns so it only makes sense that mine would seem bigger for their age since I have Black's. Just weigh yours weekly and make sure he gets bigger consistently. That's all that matters.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
What about oxygen for them to breathe? If you cover it all up they won't have any air will they.
I read the loveliest way to put this earlier, from @tortdad via @Tom.
(hopefully they'll get the hint:p )
They don't suffocate. You go in there everyday, right? For food, water, etc... plenty of air flow, and More humidity is usually optimal.
Very nice, I do like his hide!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I read the loveliest way to put this earlier, from @tortdad via @Tom.
(hopefully they'll get the hint:p )
They don't suffocate. You go in there everyday, right? For food, water, etc... plenty of air flow, and More humidity is usually optimal.
Very nice, I do like his hide!
Tom and I are men, our DNA is unable to process "hints". Just tell us what you want ;)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I need to find out how old mine is for sure. My friend who got it for us thought he was 2 years old but now I'm starting to wonder. He still likes to go hide all the time. The only time he comes out is to eat or when I call him out.
There is absolutely no way to know for sure how old a tortoise is unless you know the hatch date. None. You can wonder, and eventually you'll be sure of the sex and that it's mature, but that's it. There are too many variables.