Urgent substrate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBeauMonde

5 Year Member
I purchased a hatchling Hermann's Tortoise yesterday and I am trying to solve the issue of substrate. I have fine play sand (plenty) and I bought a few bricks of eco-earth/coco coir, but I need some sort of compost or soil to mix with the sand. But! All of the composts and soils I find have perlite in them and manure. I can find mulches but they all have cedar or pine. I've looked at Star Nursery, Home Depot, and Lowes. Can anyone tell me what to try? A brand or type? I want to get the tortoise settled, but I can't seem to find the right stuff. How about peat moss? I have a 6 foot by 3 foot enclosure that is deep . . .

LeBeauMonde

5 Year Member
MikeCow1 said:
Why not just use the Eco-Earth?

I purchased a fair amount (pricey) but I think the ratio of sand would still be very high. Around 80%, but then I am new to this - is that not a problem?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't like to use sand. Quite a few people do use it in a 30/70 sand/eco earth ratio, but I don't use sand at all.

LeBeauMonde

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I don't like to use sand. Quite a few people do use it in a 30/70 sand/echo earth ratio, but I don't use sand at all.

What do you use then? That's the problem I am trying to solve. Everyone has a reason not to use something - I can't find anything and it is beginning to get rather frustrating.

LeBeauMonde

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
Get organic top soil. You can find bags
(large) at most home improvement stores.

even if they have perlite? I thought that was a major no?

Beck

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland/Central FL
I'm sure you know this, but just in case, the bricks expand with water -- one brick makes 6-7 liters of substrate.

Don't want you panicking if you have enough substrate already!

I buy plain top soil from Walmart -- Scott's Premium Top Soil. I believe I've seen it at Lowe's as well. I find anything that isn't "top soil" usually has perlite or manure in it. I buy Mosser Lee's long-fibered sphagnum moss from Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies.