USA Roadtrip! (picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Ok, i know this thread is a little late in coming and apologise for lack of organisation.....

So I took Ava on a whistlestop tour of the US. We flew out to Florida for 8 days, then flew out to Colorado to meet with Stephanie and take a roadtrip down to the Grand Canyon through the Masse Verde and back through Arches National Park. We then flew out to California for out last leg, staying in Garden Grove before flying back over the pond!

Mostly the tour went well. Though Ava ended up with chicken pox in the middle which did mean that the TFO tour was cut short (no tour to see Tom's animals!) And there were a few funny incidents when the US people didnt understand me at all (one springs to mind - arriving in Florida there is a big escalator, and to the left about 10 security guards, i have Ava in a pushchair and a very big rucksack, so i ask 'excuse me where is the lift' all ten stare at me dumbfounded untill eventually someone says 'she means the elevator')

It is very busy travelling alone with a toddler. Although we had a great time i think we will fly out to a beach somewhere next time! And do not a lot! Jet lag on the way back was awfull. Though we did end up sitting next to a famous TV actor on the way back n- Tom Chambers aka Sam stacken from Holby and the new headteacher from Waterloo Road (made things up a little!)

So here are the pictures... this picture uploading doesnt like me so again apologies if it doesnt work....

IMG]http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/arabellafigg/USA 2010/101_1888.jpg[/IMG]

101_1891.jpg

arriving in rainy florida

101_1906.jpg

101_1971.jpg

seaworld

101_1998.jpg

ava loved the dolphins

101_2102.jpg

101_2106.jpg

Ava loves goofy - she gave him a stick!

101_2152.jpg

Snowy Colorado! Travel halfway round the world and the snow follows us!

101_2160.jpg

101_2162.jpg

101_2167.jpg

101_2181.jpg

101_2183.jpg

101_2191.jpg

101_2232.jpg

101_2247.jpg

101_2251.jpg

tour of USA playgrounds continues...

101_2261.jpg

101_2263.jpg

the crazy little car that is massive and was automatic! watch out on the roads!

101_2274.jpg

101_2279.jpg

101_2311.jpg

101_2336.jpg

101_2346.jpg

crazy log flume, which ava thought was good fun!

101_2383.jpg

101_2402.jpg

101_2405.jpg

101_2414.jpg

101_2202.jpg

101_2415.jpg

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Amazing :D
I am sure you and your little Ava (she is sooo cute) had a lot of fun! Thank you for sharing the pic with us they are amazing! I am sorry to hear that Ava got the chicken pox.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG, Brooke! I didn't realize that you were travelling ALONE!!!! How brave you are to plan a vacation trip of this magnatude with a toddler all by yourself! Thank you so much for the pictures. I truly enjoy living vicariously through others and sharing your vacations!!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Chicken Pox!!!! Traveling alone!!!! WHAT!!!!

I wish I had your courage!!!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Great pics. That is one amazing vacation! Was this your first time to America? What did you think??

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
OMG, Brooke! I didn't realize that you were travelling ALONE!!!! How brave you are to plan a vacation trip of this magnatude with a toddler all by yourself! Thank you so much for the pictures. I truly enjoy living vicariously through others and sharing your vacations!!

She wasn't alone, she was with Stephanie, she flew to Colorado from Fla then her and Stephanie want on a trip all thru the Mesa Verde area....

chadk

10 Year Member!
She was alone for quite a bit of it -especially the long flights to and from the US...

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Ha ha. Yes i was alone in Florida and California. I had Stephanie's helping hand in Colorado and on the roadtrip. Hey, we even left Stephanie's daughters (they are grown up) with Ava while we went to a vodka party down town (it all comes out now :p) But no, really Stephanie was a great help and it would have been much more difficult trip if it wasen't for a reprise in the middle. It is hard work travelling with a toddler.

The long flights were not too bad. The flight home was not very good, Ava couldn't get comfortable. And the Jet lag was awfull (connection in heathrow and then a 2 hour drive from Manchester to our house) Ava is a very well behaved child, i should add. If she was not i wouldn't have travelled alone with her. But i once lived in Beijing, China for three months, USA was a breeze compared to that :)

The chicken pox was only mild, luckily.

Chad - i had been to the USA once before on a family holiday with my parents, brother and sister. We went to florida and the gulf coast. America is very interesting. It was funny being there amidst all the healthcare reform. Its so different to the UK, the main difference that the people seem to really not like the government (government is controlling our lives etc) where as here is all 'the government has this great new initiative'. Ava loved all the food. You wouldn't think to look at her as she is a tiny for a two year old, but she can eat like a trooper :)

AlexIbarra

5 Year Member
Ventura, CA
Great pictures! Looks like you had lots of fun!
How old is Ava? She's such a cutie! I'm taking my 22 months old to Germany next week and I'm so terrified of the flight! You're so brave for taking her by yourself!

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Ava is now two, she was 23 months when we took the trip. Germany should be a breeze (at least if your travelling from the UK!)

AlexIbarra

5 Year Member
Ventura, CA
alfiethetortoise said:
Ava is now two, she was 23 months when we took the trip. Germany should be a breeze (at least if your travelling from the UK!)

I wish it was only from the UK! lol I'm traviling from California, so the flight will be about 14 hours long :(

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing :) I want to go to Cali soo badly! My entire family has been there (without me, grr)
Ava is absolutely adorable! Such a little doll :D She must be an angel for you to travel so far with her! I don't think my mom would even travel alone with my 15-year old sister (although Ava is probably better behaved than her- HA!)
One of my kindergartners has chicken pox. I'm nervous because I've never had chicken pox- had the vaccine but apparently so did this kid :p

Status
Not open for further replies.