uv lighting please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

missgemma

5 Year Member
could u please tell me when i buy a uv strip light what whatt should it be and how high should i put it in relation to my tort table.
my herman is 2 years old

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Wattage is related to how much space you have to cover, and the height is usually 12-15" over the tortoises. In most cases, the bulb itself will tell you this.

Height is a little more important than wattage- if it is too low, the tort will just sun longer. If too high, it will just hide more (and MAKE SURE it has a nice, dark hiding place!)

On the other hand, the UVB rays created by these bulbs scatter so much that if you are too far away, almost none of them will hit the tortoise.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
You need to look at the documentation that came with the bulb, as they vary. With the strip, you are more concerned with what it says on the paperwork as they don't emit the heat like the Mercury Vapor Bulbs (and the temperature usually dictates the height above the tort for those).

In the future (6 months from now if the bulb is new), when you need to replace it, think about a Mercury Vapor Bulb as the UVB output is higher. They also provide both light and heat, so they are easier to use for some owners. They are more expensive but typically can last a year. You need to replace UVB bulbs as they decay, and after a certain point the output becomes very low. Unless of course you have a UV meter where you can test them (expensive, but some vets and tort societies have one for you to borrow).

Status
Not open for further replies.