UV question (box turtle)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I have my little ornate and she has been quite reclusive lately. It's been consistently cold and even rainy and cloudy lately so she hasn't been able to go outside. So I've bought two different set up for uv, since I also now have a leopard hatchling and am going to try each on the leopard hatchlings enclosure and see which one works but and then my ornate will get the second light. I assume my ornate will get the strip light and uv tune light based on the need for heat with my hatchling.
So finally my question, since my ornate normally just receives sunlight from trips outside but hasn't been able to go lately...would having her uv set up on for half the day or for a few hours be sufficient amounts of uv for her since that's more than she would get from the outdoors, which is usually a max of two hours every couple of days?

Like if I turned on her uv set up every morning for 4 hours, is that plenty since she spends SO much time buried away from the light of day anyways?
How much does an ornate REALLY need?
She seems to somehow intuitively know it's the cooler part of the year and would rather bury herself in her cave and stay there for days at a time.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I keep the UV light on for 13 hours a day. 13 hours of artificial UV still does not equal 2 hours of natural sunlight so yes, they need it on.

That being said, box turtles do not need strong UV lighting. I use reptiglo 5.0 as opposed to the 10.0. As you've noticed, boxies do not like overly bright lighting. But they still need access to UVB.