veggie problem

GrammyTree

Location (City and/or State)
Renick, WV
Our box turtles seem to not like green vegetables. Is feeding them grasshoppers (that eat grass ) helping them get the vitamins they need from greens?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Our box turtles seem to not like green vegetables. Is feeding them grasshoppers (that eat grass ) helping them get the vitamins they need from greens?
No grasshoppers are protein not vitamin C and fibre!

Torts are well known for their ability to be picky eaters and refuse stuff that's good for them!

Sometimes you have to be the strict parent and point out that you're in charge. What you serve up is dinner and there's nothing else.

A hungry tort will eat, but can hold out stubbornly for what they want for a week or two. They won't come to any harm going hungry as long as they're well hydrated; daily soaks are essential during hunger strikes.

Most of us have been there; probably more than once! Be strong. We will support you. You will be doing the right thing.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
No grasshoppers are protein not vitamin C and fibre!

Torts are well known for their ability to be picky eaters and refuse stuff that's good for them!

Sometimes you have to be the strict parent and point out that you're in charge. What you serve up is dinner and there's nothing else.

A hungry tort will eat, but can hold out stubbornly for what they want for a week or two. They won't come to any harm going hungry as long as they're well hydrated; daily soaks are essential during hunger strikes.

Most of us have been there; probably more than once! Be strong. We will support you. You will be doing the right thing.
Ok thanks, we will try the tough love way. I hope I can hold out and not give in to them. They are pretty stubborn and know how to get what they want.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok thanks, we will try the tough love way. I hope I can hold out and not give in to them. They are pretty stubborn and know how to get what they want.
We've had our tort 46 years and have this as a regular occurrence. Just keep telling yourself that you're doing it for the right reasons.

And no hoppers until the greens get eaten :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
in the wild box turtles get a portion of their greens from the insects they eat. In captivity it's referred to as gut loading.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
Just trying to see if I can post a picture. I have been trying in the gallery to start an album but it fails. This is Greta, she is waiting on the sun to hit her favorite spot.

Screenshot_2016-09-11-12-59-25.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I start my baby box turtles out right out of the egg on chopped veg and fruit. Then by the time they are adults, they eat veg and fruit without any coercion.

I chop up the leafy greens into tiny pieces and grate a bit of cucumber into the bowl, mixing it all up until the greens are coated and now smell like cucumber. Watermelon is good for this too. At any rate, whatever fruit and veg I have on hand, I chop it into tiny pieces and mix it all together. I place a clump of it on the feeding tile then I add some wiggling things (meal worms OR pinhead crickets OR cut up night crawlers) to the top of the clump. The babies get a taste of the veg and fruit while eating the wigglers and get used to eating it that way.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
I start my baby box turtles out right out of the egg on chopped veg and fruit. Then by the time they are adults, they eat veg and fruit without any coercion.

I chop up the leafy greens into tiny pieces and grate a bit of cucumber into the bowl, mixing it all up until the greens are coated and now smell like cucumber. Watermelon is good for this too. At any rate, whatever fruit and veg I have on hand, I chop it into tiny pieces and mix it all together. I place a clump of it on the feeding tile then I add some wiggling things (meal worms OR pinhead crickets OR cut up night crawlers) to the top of the clump. The babies get a taste of the veg and fruit while eating the wigglers and get used to eating it that way.
Would it be better if I used something like a coffee bean grinder on the leafy stuff to make it smaller. His mouth is so little I worry about him getting things down. I am told I dote too much on my turtles. I gave him the smallest meal worm last night and ended up pulling it out of his throat. It was way too big for him. I cut it into bite size pieces. Am I going overboard on the fear of choking?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They usually clamp down with their beak, then push it away from their mouth with the front legs, essentially biting off a piece small enough to swallow. And they can swallow a much bigger piece than you give them credit for. The size that comes out of a cheese grater is plenty small enough for a baby box turtle.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
They usually clamp down with their beak, then push it away from their mouth with the front legs, essentially biting off a piece small enough to swallow. And they can swallow a much bigger piece than you give them credit for. The size that comes out of a cheese grater is plenty small enough for a baby box turtle.
Ok thanks. I will try to lighten up and relax a bit on his feeding.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Just keep trying. Greens are not a huge portion of a box turtles diet, but try anyway. 60% of their diet should be protein. The rest is fallen fruit and fungi mostly with just a few greens. I have one that loves greens and one that won't touch them.

GrammyTree

Renick, WV
Just keep trying. Greens are not a huge portion of a box turtles diet, but try anyway. 60% of their diet should be protein. The rest is fallen fruit and fungi mostly with just a few greens. I have one that loves greens and one that won't touch them.
Do you know if all mushrooms are safe. I try to research anything we feed them but haven't tried mushrooms yet because I can't find if they are safe or not.